Can I exclude files?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by msfox99, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msfox99

msfox99 Registered Member

I currently have TI8. I would like to be able to do an image of my C drive, but to exclude some of my files such as my mp3's, which I have backed up separately. I don't see a way to do this in TI8. Is there a way in TI9? It appears that you can select files for backup in TI9, but I don't know if that is for creating an image, or for a regular back up.

Thanks.

2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

When TI8 creates a .tib image file it does it by copying sector by sector for the whole partition. It doesn't have any way of excluding certain files.
    TI9 does the same. TI9 also has a new feature which allows you to only copy specified folders/files to a .tib 'backup' file.
    There is not any option to image a partition but exclude certain folders/files.
    One way of doing it would be to create another partition to store all files, like the mp3 files, that you don't want TI to include when it images your C: drive.

3. msfox99

msfox99 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. That is kind of what I expected, but I just wanted to be sure.

4. jaks13579

jaks13579 Guest

Can anyone from acronis comment if this behaviour will ever be chagned to alllow exclusions with image based backups?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jaks13579,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As tachyon42 said above, Acronis True Image 9.0 can exclude all files with specific extension only if you create file/folder backup.

As for the file exclusion in the entire hard drive/partition backup, it's probably will be implemented in the future builds/versions of Acronis True Image but exact time frame for this is not decided yet.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I'm not sure that I see any merit in this if it means disk imaging ending up being file based rather than in-use sector based. If it's anything like Files and Folders imaging/restoring it will be slow :(.

Regards

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I agree. Leave the image as an image (within its current definition). The reason Ghost became so popular, the very original Ghost before Symantec, was that people were blown away by its speed which was due to bypassing the file system.

Besides, the first feature you (Acronis) will be asked to implement is, "How do I recover files I mistakenly omitted from my image?"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.