Can I do without firewall

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Itsme, Dec 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

Can I do without firewall
    if I have Nod32 and Ewido.
    If not.. why not?
    Looking forward to hear from you.
    Itsme

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Re: Can I do..

Well there are no firewall in either NOD or Ewido, so I wouldn't recommend it.

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

If you have a Router installed, then you just have to worry for
    outbound connctions.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

According my readings :
    1. Router + Software Firewall offers the best protection.
    2. If you don't have a router, you NEED a Software Firewall.
    3. Router alone : see previous post.

5. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
    So I need one. I will get one.
    Thanks
    Itsme

6. gubo

gubo Registered Member

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Just disabling services is really not enough. It may not leave any system ports open (for now), but a firewall does a lot more than that. An actual firewall will help to ensure that your internet applications are behaving normally, and can stop abnormal behavior. The goal isn't just to prevent incomming connections, it's to prevent unwanted connections of any kind. Just disabling services really isn't going to do that (although it's not a bad idea to do so anyway). A faulty MS patch could potentially re-open some ports, if you end up leaving a service set to "Manual" instead of "Disabled" (which is safer, compatibility-wise) something could start that service back up, vulnerabilities could be more easily exploited in internet software you may be running, you would still be prone to flaws in the TCP/IP stack, and on and on. Keep in mind that those tests are in no way complete, and may not be relevant to future methods of attack that attackers are continually devising. Although there are still quite a few worms that target Windows services, even more malware is made to target internet software. If you end up with spyware that wants to send your personal info home, wouldn't you want to be able to stop it? If your internet software starts creating abnormal connections, wouldn't it be nice to have that transmission automatically stopped? (SPI) A firewall is your most basic first and last line of defense, and it can provide as much complex protection, or as easy and simple protection, as you'd like.

I would say that even a router alone is insufficient, unless it has certified SPI, as *any* connection out will be allowed back in. Actually any connection that the router knows which computer to route to will be allowed. If someone exploits a vulernability in your messenger, for example, and makes it connect in ways that it's not normally supposed to, you will have no way of knowing about, or controlling, that behavior. If you're so inclined you can go so far as to set up a strict whitelist of ways that your apps may communicate across the internet for even greater protection, but not accepting incomming connections is not the same as a packet filter (firewall).

8. thank2u

thank2u Guest

Perfect. Just the answers I was looking for. Thank you gubo and thank you Notok - mods? riiiiight.

9. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

Well, thank you very much for this.
    I will see if Nod32, Ewido and Core Force work well together.
    Ciao
    Itsme

10. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

11. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    [MOVE]It's too dangerous... :[/MOVE]'(

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2006
  12. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

This kind of issue... get a router AND a software firewall and that's safer than having each individual component alone on your system.

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

For the utmost security, I would get one. I have a router as well as a sw firewall. (I use Kerio 2.1.5 mainly to monitor outbound connections.)

Good luck to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.