Can I do this with any of the Paragon products?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by agarwaldvk, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agarwaldvk

agarwaldvk Registered Member

Hi Everybody

I want to schedule a (or more than one (1) if it needs to be) backup job to realize the following :-

1. Create a full backup jobs (for selected folders only) on Sunday nights
    2. Create a diffrerential backup (again for the same selected folder as in step 1 above) on every other night.

Both the steps 1 and 2 above need to repeat every week.

My understanding is that the differential backup file would only contain the files that have been modified/added/deleted since the last fulll backup. In that event, can the existing differential backup be overwritten with the subsequent differential file for the next day - this way I will only need to keep one (1) differential backup file rather than six (6). this is as an option that I am considering.

Also, I need to be able to run both Pre and Post command batch files to perform certain tasks.

Further, I want both these jobs to be run at 'User LogOff' or loosely 'Windows Shutdown'. From what I have cursorily read on the documentation available, it appears that backup jobs cannot be scheduled at 'User LogOff' or 'Windows Shutdown'. I am more than happy to consider any other product of your that can facilitate the scheduling of the backup jobs at 'User LogOff' or loosely 'Windows Shutdown' event. Can this be realized through scripting which practically all of your products support??

Finally, I need a 'Confirm Before Backup' option that will give the user (me) the option to cancel the backup, should I choose to do so. The reason for this requirement is that this computer (which is also the server computer) needs to be shut down every night and I may not necessarily want the backup job to run at every shutdown. I, hence, need to ablity to cancel the running of the schedule backup, should I choose to do so. If this is normally not feasible, can the backup jobs be conditionally run based on the user response to a question as a part of the precommand batch file run or scripting which practically all of your products support?

Any suggestions on this would be highly valued.

Best regards

Deepak Agarwal

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I am a relatively new Paragon Home product user who only runs full manual backups so I can't answer your questions.

A general comment is to very seriously consider the wish to overwrite differentials. By doing so you eliminate the ability to roll-back to an earlier version of a file that is later than the one in the full backup. For example, you do a full on Sunday, user creates new file on Monday, edits it on Tuesday and Wednesday then realizes on Thursday the last edits have ruined the file in some fashion and would like to go back to Tuesday version, you wouldn't be able to.

If the last differential goes bad then you have no backup later than the last full. Keep as many backups, both full and differentials that you can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.