Can I do this? Please help!

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by imaginaryday, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imaginaryday

imaginaryday Registered Member

I have a Toshiba laptop. I cloned the C drive to my external HD. I would like to know if it is possible to operate my laptop using the external HD as the "C" drive.
    Thank you for you help!

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u can boot ur laptop off an USB device (ur hard drive) then it should be possible.

3. imaginaryday

I attempted to do so but, my window hangs...looks like it's searching for something. I need to mention that I disabled booting from internal HD in the bios.
    I gave my bios the option of booting from external devices only.
    What am I doing wrong?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello imaginaryday,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please describe your actions which you took to clone the hard drive in more details? Could you please clarify what software you have used for this?

Please try to prepair your Windows operating system before cloning by means of Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article;

You can find more infomation on how to boot Windows from USB storage devices in the respective Microsoft Knowledge Base Article named Recommendations for Booting Windows from USB Storage Devices.

If you still experience this issue then please create Acronis Report having your destination USB hard drive connected in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

5. imaginaryday

I used True Image 8.0 (937).
    I run Disk clone under new disk diployment.
    Cloned the C drive as follows:
    disk clone> clone mode: Manual> Disk 1 "C" drive highlighted> Disk 2 "USB" drive highlighted> Delete partition highlighted> Distroy data highlighted> Distroy parameters "normal"> Moving methode "As is".
    Checked the cloned usb afterwords, everythig was copied as planned.

Thanks!

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello imaginary,

Please note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

After you have disconnected your original hard drive you should set the boot sequence in BIOS to boot from your external USB hard drive.

Could you please also clarify whether you have tried using the sysprep utility before cloning?

if you have already submitted the request to us then please let me know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter. I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going. If you have not received an autoreply then please send me a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.