Can I back up to a FAT32 hard disk?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by senchas, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senchas

senchas Guest

This is probably a no-brainer, but I'd like to see the answer from someone who knows before I spend my money. I back up the HDDs on my main computer (Win XP Home) to an older one that runs Win ME.

I just bought a file backup product that I find I can't use. There is plenty of room on the backup disk, but this product puts everything into a single backup file, and as soon as that file size hits the FAT32 4GB max, the program upchucks.

I know that Acronis True Image is an imaging program, which shouldn't have this problem, and I know that it can split backup files into small pieces to go on CDs etc., so logically it should have no problem splitting them to go on a FAT32 disk. But I'd really like to hear someone who knows the program tell me that.

Can anybody help?

Senchas

2. Euser

Euser Registered Member

Yes, Acronis will have no problems backing up to your other computer with a fat32 filesystem. It will automatically create additional files once the fat32 limitation is reached approximately 4 GB.

3. senchas

senchas Guest

Thanks, Euser, all I needed was to see that. Off to the store.

Senchas

4. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

Not only will TI8 automatically break the backup file into pieces according to the target file system limits, but optionally you can specify a fixed size for each span. Even though I backup to an NTFS drive (no size limits), I set the span at 650MB so that I can, if I choose, copy the files to CDs.

When performing a recovery with TI8, be aware that within TI8's restoration screen you need to click on the last span first. Otherwise, it is very obvious what to do.

YI8 has saved me on several occassions. You have made a good choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.