Can I back up partitions on a RAID 0 array?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by HiDef, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiDef

HiDef Registered Member

Hi all, I am looking into buying a Windows Vista PC, and plan to have 2 400gb SATA2 hard drives in RAID 0 configuration. I'm not totally sure how partitions work, but from what I've read on the net, I have decided that I will make a 300gb or 250gb partition for Windows Vista, all my apps, documents and photos. The rest of the hard drive space would be used for high definition videos. So there would be 2 partitons all up. This PC will be a part gaming - part HTPC.

Am I likely to run into any problems if I ever need to restore a disk image of ONLY the 300gb partition? Can this be done with the latest version of ATI?

The backups will be done on a SATA 250gb drive used in a SSI SI-1168SAS rack (here's a link to some info on this device - http://www.hi-techreviews.com/Joomla/content/view/2009/27/ ). Will I have any issues with backing up or restoring an image using this device?

Thanks in advance for any replies, and Merry Christmas.

2. HiDef

HiDef Registered Member

Can anyone help?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello HiDef,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image 10.0 Home allows backing up the entire hard drive, separate partitions, files and folders, email and application settings.

When Acronis True Image10.0 Home under Windows, it works with all the hard disk drives detected by the operating system. If Acronis True Image 10.0 Home is running in rescue mode (e.g. to restore the system partition), then it provides support for all hardware RAID controllers. Should you experience a problem with your RAID controller when accessing from rescue mode, please provide us with the exact vendor and model of the RAID controller you use and we will help you solve the problem.

We may also recommend you to install a trial version available here in order to make sure that the program runs flawless for you.

Thank you.
    --
    Ivan Sarychev

4. XBarbarian

XBarbarian Registered Member

Hi,

getting a new gaming rig, using 2x WD Raptors in a raid 0. That will be c:\

Have a 3rd hdd, ( another sata ) wd 500gb stand alone physical drive, no raid involvement, for data. probably d:\

like Hidef, wondering about the ability to image the entire drive c;\ ( which in a raid0 as you know is a strip set across to physical drives ) to either the 3rd drive ( d:\ )..or dvd..or external usb drive

I use the "other" name brand out there for imaging drives on a daily basis. I don't believe it handles raid 0's..or maybe the enterprise version I use at work is old..

The mobo is the NVidia NForce 680i SLI, the integrated sata / raid controller I believe is the nForce 680i SLI MCP southbridge.

SO, once again, I want to make a image file of the raid set, not backups per se. I want to be able to capture a snapshot od c: ( the raid 0 ) of the system once it's dialed in with xp , so I can do a fresh install of Vista once released, and retain the ability to re image the raid back to xp if I want..

so..ATI Home 10 can handles this, yes? As I don't like the mother company of the other image guys, and love Acronis when I have used it. Also, I believe I read that 10 will do the same for Vista as well? So then I can have 2 quick files to go from XP to Vista and back again? Thanks for your response,

Don

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HI Don

Welcome to the wonderful world of Nvidia drivers. I have have a machine with that chip set and also another Nforce machine with the 590 chip set. I have to use BartPe, but it works great with ATI v9. I also tested it with V10 and it worked. Note I do nothing fancy, just image and restore the disk. The only thing you have to do to get Bartpe to work is put the Nvidia raid drivers into bart, which is quite easy.

Can give you some other info that really doesn't belong in this forum, so if you'd like pm me and I'll be glad to share it. Also give a shout if you need help with Bart

Pete

6. XBarbarian

Great Peter2150!

Sadly, the PM system is down atm.

If you could email me, that would be great.

dturner@tampabay.rr.com

Anything you can do to teach me what I need to do to accomplish this would be great. where to get the latest bart, etc.. and your experience. The rig is going to have a 8800gtx as well! go go nvidia! lol

Thanks!

7. XBarbarian

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Don

Sorry I missed. Don't always check this forum. I will email you later today.

Pete

9. XBarbarian

Thanks Pete!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.