Can I avoid erasing my hard drive again?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ppapineau, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ppapineau

ppapineau Registered Member

The first time I tried to create a backup (mirror image), I managed to copy all the files to drive 4 (I) and delete everything on drive 1 (C), the primary. I've spent two days reloading and rebuilding.
    For my second attempt, I've created a secure zone on Drive 2 (D). I'm now ready to take the plunge. I've followed all the backup screens to select Drive 1 (c) as the source and the secure zone on Drive (2) as the destination. The last screen before actually performing the operation has me confused. It appears to me that product is going to mirror Drive 1 onto drive 1. Here is what I see (a screen copy is attached. I hope.)
    Operation 2 of 2
    Saving Partition Structure
    Hard disk: 1.
    What do ya think?
    Thanks,
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Just look at the "From" and the "To" and as long as you know where your SZ is then you're good to go. Is there a reason you want to use the SZ?

3. ppapineau

ppapineau Registered Member

I'm not smart enough to know the benefits of using or not using the secure zone.
    What are your thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Paul

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

An SZ is good if you have just one hard drive e.g. a laptop where you do not have an external usb drive. Because it is a Secure zone, only True Image can access the files in it. To me that is a double edged sword.

I keep all my backups simply as a .tib file on another hard drive. One is an internal in a drive caddy, two others are external usb drives. This way I can copy/move the .tib files just like any other file.

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Use XP Disk Management and confirm secure zone located on 2nd drive--just to be sure.

Also, check the "Useful Form Threads" link below and read about the "Secure Zone and Startup Recovery Manager" thread. This reading should give you a better understanding of the merits of the Secure Zone. Do Not use the Startup Recovery Manager Feature--unless you understand its features.

6. mc1548

mc1548 Registered Member

I’m still on ATI trial 8 days now but isn’t SZ only necessary for a Recovery when your Laptop or Tower won’t boot & SZ & ATI backup should be on your external HD or DVD backups? And SZ & ATI backup are useless if you have a Major OS Failure & there on your Laptop or Tower no matter what partition there in?

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

ATI and the SZ isn't useless if you have a major OS failure. You simply use the bootable media and restore an image from the SZ. Now if you have hard drive failure and the SZ is on the hard drive then yes its useless which is where a backup dvd or external hard drive are valuable.

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

For those of you who do not use a secure zone I hope that you password protect your backup images.

Since the advent of Version 10 image archives are open to any program or virus that wants to access them. This applies whether the TI program is open or not. Of course external drive images are equally be open to interference when connected.

Just another of the many reasons why I continue using the Secure Zone. To guard against main drive breakdown it is located on a secondary internal drive.

Xpilot

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Even if you password protrect them in ATI, that won't prevent other progs (malware) from screwing around with them if the author of the malware knows how to do it. Get a hardware firewall and some good security software if you want to protect the tibs and any other files from unauthorized meddling.

Use a password if you want to prevent others from using a copy of ATI to see whats in the tib.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ppapineau,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that there are two approaches available:

Clone Disk - migrates/copies the entire contents of one disk drive to another;

Backup - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes;

Please take a look at this FAQ article explaining the difference between Clone Disk and Backup approaches in more detail.

Actually, Clone Disk approach is usually used to upgrade the hard drive (e.g. install a larger disk), while Backup approach is basically dedicated for the complete data backup and disaster recovery purposes. Since you are interested in backing up your hard drive for the disaster recovery purposes, we would recommend you to follow Backup approach.

Moreover, there are several advantages of creating an image over the disk cloning procedure such as: you can create an image without rebooting your PC, image creation can be scheduled for the particular point in time, Acronis True Image allows you to create incremental and differential images, image archive contains only the actual data and so it has a smaller size, images are ordinary files and so they can be stored on any type of the supported media, etc. However, the final choice is always up to your needs.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.
    Please notice that while it's possible to explore archive files without using Acronis True Image interface, in that mode no changes can be made to archive. Therefore, archive contents are none less safe than in previous versions (which didn't have explore function). In fact, they are safer as the archive packing algorithms are improved with every version.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Glad to hear that allowing other programs to look at archives is safe under V 10 and 11.
    I had misunderstood your previous post of November 26.

"Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that starting from Acronis True Image 10.0 Home it's possible to explore archives without first starting the program interface. So, it's possible that other programs can look into archives. Please try excluding the archive (or folder it's located in) from the diagnostics check to avoid that. Also notice that if the archive is password protected, other programs cannot access it unless the password is provided.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov"

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.