Can google images give you viruses?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Engineeringfun, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Engineeringfun

Engineeringfun Registered Member

A few weeks ago I was searching on google images on firefox. I typed in spyware into google images and did not press on the thumbnails, just scrolled down the page and Nod32 alerted me that IP address so and so (did not have time to take a screenshot) was being blocked. WOT categorized a few of the sites under red, but I didn't actually click on them. Nod32's red box popped up about 3 times and when I clicked back to google it stopped. I did a full scan and nothing was found. I then downloaded Malwarebytes and the only thing it found was PUM.disabled Windows Updates, which was strange as it says that Windows Updates are on.

I then downloaded Windows Updates from Microsoft because there were quite a few that were missed as the time for automatic updates was for 3am when everyone is asleep. A couple of weeks before my parents had been browsing on internet explorer and I think one of them pressed on a site that contained malware as I looked at the quarantine and Nod32 had terminated attempts from 3 trojans and blocked attacks were reported 6 times. I had done a full scan when coming home and nothing was found.

Am I infected with something, as people say that you can't get viruses from looking at google images, unless you actually click on the pictures? The computer is fast and no other suspicious activity in taskmanager. Malwarebytes still doesn't find anything. I also disabled autorun and system restore.. and still nothing? What could it be?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Why would you say that? I mean, I understand the suggestion and what it implies, but is there a rule about that, or is it some subtle etiquette that I have not seen before? Just curious.

Sul.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Just to clarify regarding Sully's question - Yes, it actually is a forum etiquette thing; it's a form of cross posting. It's in the same class as things like bumping your own threads quickly for attention, quoting the full text from a huge post right above yours and adding a short sentence of agreement, bumping a year old thread and acting like its new news, or even typing in all caps, and so on. Many forums follow these as guidelines even though they may not be spelled out in AUP or TOS. In this type of case, it can be frowned upon to make the exact same post at multiple forums, especially if the replies would require people to expend a large amount of effort. If the people don't know others worked on it at another forum, effort might get wasted at one or the other with redundant answers. There was a time in HJT Log processing that if they found the same log posted at more then one cleaning forum, neither forum would work on the log.

5. Engineeringfun

Engineeringfun Registered Member

I am sorry for this. I did not know that there were any rules that highlighted this... but I will refrain from doing so in the future. I did it because there are a variety of responses to read and different options to take in case one thing did not work. I apologize for the inconvenience and if there is any way in which to remove the post, I will.

Thank you and again sorry

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Don't be sorry. We all do mistakes :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.