Can Google data mine me if I use JonDo?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DesuMaiden, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I use JonDo which normally has Flash, Javascript, Java, Cookies, and etc disabled.
    Therefore there are no "suggested searches" in the search bar.
    So if I search "google is evil" on JonDo, google will not make any search suggestions.

Does this also mean that google isn't building a seach profile on what I search through JonDo?

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Google suggestions are not available when Javascript is disabled. That has nothing to do with profiling.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Right. Profiling is not the same. Profiling is done through search history (on their side, which you have little to no control over), link clicking, browser/OS identification and IP, among others.

4. DesuMaiden

So you are saying that there is no way to prevent google from forming a profile on me? Guess I have to stick with DuckDuckGo from now.

5. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

You can search on Google anonymously by using startpage.com, which retrieves Google's results but doesn't log your IP address or search terms.

6. DesuMaiden

Unfortunately it doesn't have the search results of google.

7. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Why don't you first use an alternative search engine that also provides privacy (like startpage.com or DuckDuckGo), and switch to Google only if you don't find what you are looking for? This way at least you limit the profile Google creates about you, without sacrificing usability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.