Can Emsisoft Anti-Malware replace free avast and MBAM pro ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by southcat, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

As I mentioned in an earlier post, though I have an MBAM Pro license and I feel it's a great product, I have decided over the past months to run it on-demand as a complement to EAM.

Yesterday, I decided to enable it on my XP Pro system alongside EAM in real-time, once with just the website blocking enabled, the other time with both file guard and website blocking enabled.

MBAM consumes a lot of RAM on my XP system (more than EAM it seems) and appears to degrade the overall performance somewhat when run in tandem.

I went back to just allowing MBAM Pro to update hourly behind the scenes so that it's always ready to give me an up to date on-demand scan when called for.

All that said, these are two great products...both in the free and paid incarnations.

2. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

As light as it runs (ram/system impact) on Vista and 7, it can be a dog on XP.
    Using well over 100MB of resources, that can be too much on old systems with low ram and ancient CPU.
    Especially disabling/enabling the file-protection and IP-filter modules can then cause slowdowns in my experience.
    No such issues on dual/quad-core, plenty ram and Win7 though.

3. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Good point, Baserk. I used to run them together on a regular basis for quite a while but once I realized that I didn't need the extra layer I decided to use it on-demand and save myself a bit of listening to the fans spool up.

I've never had a problem with malware either way so here's hoping that continues to be the case. :cool:

4. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

Just to give a quick update: Julio Canto and I were finally able to find the issue for the ongoing detection issues over at VirusTotal. He was kind enough to come up with and deploy a quick fix. As a result all Emsisoft detections should now be accurate and all statistics that use VirusTotal internally, like CRDF, should show more accurate results as well.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Now this is good news, i posted about this at Emsisoft forums quite some time back (A few months ago), good to see it is fixed now. :thumb:

6. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

EAM is far more superior to avast AV and hence I can call that a good replacement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.