Can Chrome auto update under LUA?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by astoundingbacon, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astoundingbacon

astoundingbacon Registered Member

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to make updating our computers at work a bit easier. We run Windows XP Pro (fully patched) on our systems.

For a few years we've been running Firefox, but it can be a bit of a pain to patch everything when new updates become available (Firefox updates, Flash updates, and PDF reader updates).

I've been looking at Google Chrome because of it's auto update features (including Flash) and it's built in PDF viewer.

I've done a fair amount of Googling, but I can't seem to find a straight answer if the auto update feature works under a Windows XP limited user account?

With Firefox, I always have to run the update with admin privileges. Does Chrome need admin privileges to update as well?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

If Google Chrome is installed at its default location - user profile - then it should update itself without administrative privileges just fine.

-edit-

I don't personally run Google Chrome, but I got relatives using it, and for more than once they've had issues updating Google Chrome. Those issues were not related to lack of privileges, rather some problems with the update itself. So, whenever you can, try and make sure Google Chrome is, in fact, updated. Otherwise, it may happen to you what happened to my relatives - a few weeks outdated Google Chrome browser.

3. astoundingbacon

Thanks for the info. I've installed Chrome on my home (Win7) system to take a look at it.

I see that the auto update feature is done by a task in the task scheduler. By default it's set to run every hour. I edited it to see if it could be done with less frequency, once a day not during working hours. It appears to work, but would this ever get reset (perhaps by an update) back to hourly? Having multiple machines all downloading multiple megabyte install files at the same time might not be great for our small business network so I would like the updates to always occur when no one would be using the computers for other tasks.

Finally, since the update program runs independently of the browser, this would allow the program files to be updated even if the Chrome browser itself was running within Sandboxie. The updater program would remain unsandboxed. Correct? Any known issues with Chrome and Sandboxie?

Thanks.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

If you allow the updater to run within the sandbox it should be called within Sandboxie and install the latest version.

I would think that every update will reset what you've changed but maybe not.

5. astoundingbacon

Hungry Man,

I don't think I explained my goal quite right. Here is what I want to happen (ideally):

The updater for Chrome continues to run from the task scheduler. I don't want the updater to run sandboxed in SBIE because if I ever empty the sandbox, I would have to update everything again. I want the updater to actually update the program files on the disk, not a virtual copy in SBIE. Since it's NOT being explicitly run as sandboxed from task scheduler, I believe this would work.

I would run the actual Chrome browser sandboxed via SBIE. The sandbox would be set to delete/empty itself when exiting Chrome. This way, whenever Chrome is launched, it would be running the latest updated version on the hard drive.

Does this seem like it would work that way I think it does?

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.