Can check properties on 2 taskeng.exe in Task Manager but not on a 3rd

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by BurtieLad, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BurtieLad

BurtieLad Registered Member

Pretty much as it states in the title. I am kinda lazy and have not formatted my machine for a long time. I now have approx. 82 processes running at logon which tends to drop to around 79. When I went to look in Task Manager and brought up processes for all users, I found 3 instances of taskeng.exe running. Now I know you can potentially have quite a few running but I did find it odd that I could check the properties on 2 of them which showed location c:\windows\system32 but the third which initially had NETWORK showing in the username column and then changed to LOCAL, would not bring up properties when I right clicked on it.

It did allow me to end the process however but I don't know if this is significant. Ideas/solutions welcomed.

Thanks all.

2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

The process "taskeng.exe" is the Task Scheduler Engine from Microsoft belonging to the Microsoft Windows Vista Operating System. Task Scheduler Engine is responsible for running certain process at pre-defined times.

If you're worried about malware, run a scan with EAV. On my Vista machine, I have 2-4 taskeng.exe running as well. I don't believe that I'm infected by malware so I wouldn't think you would be either (unless we both are :gack: ). I'm not on my Vista machine now so I can't confirm the LOCAL / NETWORK.

Regards,

Mark.

3. BurtieLad

BurtieLad Registered Member

Hi Mark. Thanks for reply. It is not so much the multiple instances of it running that concerned me but more the fact that I could check the properties on two of them but no on the third. Ran a full scan last week and found nothing but it does take an awful long time to scan. By an awful long time I am talking 12-14 hours for about 900GB, is that normal 'cos I am not so sure it is. :doubt:

4. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0 or v4.0 can probably scan faster and more in depth than the aging v2.x can. You can download and install it here.

Is 900GB the size of your drive, or the amount of space on your drive you've already used up? Because 900GB of data is a lot of stuff and that would probably would take a long time. I know that it depends on the type of files you have stored on your hard drive and the settings for the scan, but 22GB of used space on my XP on v3.0 takes about 30 minutes.

Regards,

Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.