Can CCleaner's, regedit be trusted?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ptah, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Re: Registry cleaner for "idiots"

Can CCleaner's, regedit be trusted? Need imediate help before using thanks!

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Imo NO.

3. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Thanks, so I should just uncheck regedit? I am using Blaskspear's setup. If CCleaner is not trustworthy what program is?

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I think there are no Regcleaner that is 100% safe. You have to be very carful when you start playing wth the registry. If you search on the Forum you will find
    that certain program works good for one person and another one will tell not to use it because it mess up is system.o_O

This is my opinion anyway.:)

5. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I haven't had a problem with CCleaner's registry scanner. Just so you know, it's a different scan item than the harddrive cleaning portion. So you can use the "Cleaner" part to sweep out temporary and unnecessary files, but not use the "Issues" part which scans the registry. Also, the registry scanning functionality gives you a chance to backup all changes/deletions and also presents you with a list for review before doing anything. It's fairly conservative on the registry scanning, IMHO.

However, registry cleaning is often somewhat unnecessary too. There's a thread floating around here about that. And it's generally true. If you have a real registry problem, you will definitely know it because you will have some sort of program conflict or other weird, definitely-noticeable functionality or non-functionality (as the case may be). Registry "cleaners" don't often really fix those type of conflicts and misconfigurations. Rather you need a dedicated troubleshooting and diagnostic app, or you need to work through the documentation provided by the app vendor for the misbehaving app or by Microsoft if you think it's OS related. The "cleaners" usually just remove dead links to files that aren't there any more or COM components that aren't installed any more... that type of thing. It's really no biggie, usually, and more of just a function of how anal you want to be about that sort of thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.