Can AVG improve?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Wordward, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

after reading av comparitives retrospective/proactive test results and recent pc world reviews of AVG heuristics not detecting 2 month old samples that well. can AVG improve by November for new av comparitives test?

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

for the next comparative?

i doubt it. :doubt:

although, the test methodology is different this time, so i dont think anyone could predict this.

3. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

No.

They ripped off the subscribers of the "lifetime" AS product that they pimped in this forum; they have lost their integrity; they are going nowhere but downhill fast.

This company is dead to me.

As far as I'm concerned, this company can die a slow and painful death.*

Have a nice day:D

*I would never wish ill will on the employees, only the hollow and corrupt corporate shell.

4. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

Am I to gather that AVG anti-virus isn't as good as it once was? I have AVG free at the moment. Are there better free ones out there?

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I thought it was Ewido that offered the "lifetime" license? Wasn't this before Grisoft bought them?

6. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

There is nothing to be gathered from Frank's post except that he holds a certain amount of animosity towards AVG. It's a fine enough program, just keep in mind that the free version doesn't detect ad/spyware. Pair it with something like Spyware Terminator or SD Starter Edition if you want free protection.

7. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I wouldn't let my dog use AVG. Check out this result where AVG finishes just one spot out of last place, and behind the likes of Panda. But that test was for the Pro version.

http://www.pcworld.ca/Pages/ProductComparison.aspx?id=6617a2190a010408017f940121033fe5

A Grisoft rep stated it was lifetime.

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The other 2 you might check out are Avast and AntiVir.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

IMO, any significant improvement in AVG's heuristics will only be seen with the release of version 8.0 this fall :)

And AVG is a fine product IMO :D

11. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

i agree AVG is not that bad. did you say fall for new version?

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Last I heard, it was supposed to be late Fall 2007 for the 8.0 version......

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I think any av program can be improved.
    AVG is no exception.
    How long it takes to get better results in scanner detection tests is hard to guess.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no, you will have to wait for a newer version of AVG which is a few months away probably, but even then ... you have to hope for better heuristics.

15. Patrician

Patrician Registered Member

AVG has never been that good when compared to others.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

AVG 'FREE' has never been that good when compared to others.

17. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

there's a huge different from not that bad & good, try Avast!

18. Diver

Diver Registered Member

What a silly question. There is always room for improvement, especially with AV software.

Several of you hate AVG. Without a doubt more people use AVG free than any other free AV solution. Market penetration may not prove anything to the fanatics in this forum, but it often seems like things are discussed around here in inverse proportion to their market share.

19. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

again just because something is popular does not mean it's good?, it just means it's popular. Tests show effectiveness AVG is not there. Granted people use it basically because of low perfomance impact & low ram used, still doesn't mean its good.

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's possible that something may not be the best by tests yet still "good enough" for the average user...

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

of course.

22. AshG

AshG Registered Member

Companies choose to make changes to their products when the culture of expectations begins to affect their bottom line. So long as AVG continues to receive massive orders (such as the one from my school system, against my recommendations) then users will be forced to have their work interrupted by oversized windows heralding minor updates and take-over popups letting them know that, once again, all is well (when in fact, it probably isn't).

When they lose a few major customers to programs with higher detection rates, then things will change. Until then, they won't change because they don't have to. Corporate apathy sucks.

23. solcroft

To be honest, is there a valid reason for the negative overtones against AVG other than "they killed Ewido", "it's popular" and "oversized windows heralding minor updates"?

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think some people see avg free as 'avg' in general, and people know that avg's free edition does not meet the detection requirements of most people, however, as Kerodo said... it would probably be fine for the general user.

avg that includes the ewido databases etc, have great detection and is a good 'all-round antivirus package'

25. solcroft

Considering it's never been tested by any reputable testing organization (correct me if I'm wrong), I find it difficult to see where this opinion comes from.

Also, do keep in mind that it's explicitly stated that the free edition doesn't detect ad/spyware. However, AVG does also offer the Ewido engine for free, albeit as on-demand only; to be honest, I don't see what all this fuss is about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.