Can ATI image all HDD sectors?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pvsurfer, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I need to know if ATI is capable of imaging every sector on an HDD (including sectors containing a proprietary format/partition unrecognizable by Windows or Linux).

If so, how do I do that?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Supposedly, TI is supposed to image all sectors in a partition for which it does not recognize the file structure since it cannot determine the sectors that are "in-use". I don't know what restrictions, if any, are applicable.

You might give it a try and restore to a different HD in case it doesn't go well.

3. pvsurfer

Thanks for the reply, but with the default ATI configuration backup images do not capture all of my used sectors (it doesn't appear to even see the non-Windows sectors)!

I haven't been able to find an option-setting that simply enables capturing every sector on the drive. :doubt:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  4. pvsurfer

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

6. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I don't think this is user selectable.
    AFAIK it only happens when TI cannot determine the file system in order to differentiate between in-use and unused sectors.

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

No need to theorise about it. Make a full disk image, mount it and see what you have got!

8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

TI really should have an option to enable ALL Sectors to be backed up.

9. pvsurfer

I've already done that and it just created an image of Windows-recognizable sectors and not the other used (proprietary) sectors!

10. pvsurfer

As I stated in my preceding reply, that doesn't happen!

11. pvsurfer

Ok, the way to do this is in the manual, albeit, hard to find (and hard to implement). The following applies to the Workstation version (it's supposedly in the Home version as well)...
    Hey Acronis, it would be so much easier if this were a backup option selection within TI's normal GUI environment! :'(

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006
  12. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

That's because it recognizes the file system (NTFS) the OS (Windows) is using.

13. pvsurfer

Well, that's the point I'm making here - it (only) recognizes the file system Windows is using, but no others which may also be residing on the same partition or HDD!

14. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi pvsurfer,

As far as I can ascertain, TrueImageCmd.exe doesn't feature in the True Image 9.0 Home version.

Regards

15. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Thanks this could be useful I tend to use paragon or Drivesnapshot when this is required

16. Howard Kaikow

And, 4 the Home edition?

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that as I have already mentioned in many other threads, there is no way to force the creation of the so-called "raw" sector-by-sector disk\partition image in the Home version of Acronis True Image. At the moment, this can only be done via the command line interface, i.e. using Acronis True Image 9.1 Corporate Family products only.

Please also note that the suggestion to implement the capability of forcing the creation of a "raw" sector-by-sector disk\partition image into the Acronis True Image GUI environment has already been forwarded to our Development Team and will certainly be considered. We will probably implement such an option in the future, but the exact time frame for this is not decided yet.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

18. Howard Kaikow

There is at least one other backup program that has this capability, but since we are not allowed to help each other by mentioning competing products here, I cannot tell you the product name.

19. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Though I have not verified this myself I am fairly sure that Acronis will image ALL in use sectors including data in unrecognised formats. So someone give it a try. I have no suitable data to hand at the moment but at some point I plan on making backups of PVR material and it would be nice to know before hand.

20. Howard Kaikow

Nope.

See earlier respoinse in this thread from Acronis.

21. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

You may well be right but Acronis were answering in the negative to the question if all sectors could be included in an image. They have not specifically said that they do not image all in USE sectors. This I thought it did but that is based on my understanding of their literature rather than personal experience, hence my reservations.

Xpilot

22. Howard Kaikow

Acronis answered earlier in the thread:

There's no such thing as a "not in use sector".
    Sectors may be marke3d as bad, or thgey might not be part of a partition, but there is no way to tell whether a sector is used unless one is using a file system that encompasses ALL sectors on the drive.

But that is irrelevanr for those needing to backup ALL sectors.
    Such capability is needed by law enforcement, and for other purposes.

23. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

So I have misunderstood the meaning of this FAQ ?

Frequently asked questions about
    Acronis True Image 9.0 Home

Does Acronis True Image 9.0 Home support computer hard disks with Linux file systems and Linux operating system?

Yes, it does. Acronis True Image 9.0 Home supports the following Linux file systems: Ext2, Ext3, ReiserFS, Reiser4, and Linux Swap. Acronis True Image 9.0 Home also works with any other unknown file system in a special sector-by-sector mode. If the software cannot identify the file system, it simply creates an exact image of every sector on the disk.
    The standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home can be run from bootable media on any PC (x86 compatible), independent of the operating system installed.
    So is this true or not ? I had read between the lines and assumed in use sectors were meant because imaging a blank disk would seem to be a bit over the top.

Xpilot

24. Howard Kaikow

The text in te FAQ is NOT accurate.
    See the Acronis response in this thread/

25. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

About a year ago I discovered the hard way (lost data) that TrueImage 8 failed to capture ALL used sectors as Acronis claimed it did in its advertising literature at the time. I made them aware of it and the response they gave at the time was apologetic and said it had been forwarded to the "development team", whatever that is.

As I used TI8 and now TI9 I find countless repeated flaws, errors and omissions all through the documentation, Acronis website and in the programs, TI8 and TI9, themselves. In the past two years I have seen Acronis personnel issue HUNDREDS of apologies and unfulfilled promises to include corrections, missing features and flaw corrections in future updates, documentation and advertising but extremely few have ever occured.

Although I depend on TI9 to create and restore images and to clone disks on occasion, I have lost ALL faith in anything Acronis says in response to these types of threads as flaws and omissions are pointed out by users.

Based upon their track record, Acronis has ZERO credibility with me, regardless of how many other forum participants express gratitude that Acronis even participates here as compared to other software publishers. I find that many of the threads originate here solely because of Acronis' horrendously innacurate user manuals, misleading advertising literature and contradictory postings in this forum.

So, fellas, don't get your hopes up that you'll see any such feature inclusions in the home edition any time soon. Just thank each other for the gracious support that everyone provides based upon each participant's own frustratingly difficult learning experience using TruImage.

Bottom line: If you want to know what TrueImage can or cannot do you'll have to dig in and experiment with it on your own system until you get your own reasonable feel for it. Your fellow participants can share their experiences and advice but results WILL definitely vary.

And, forget Acronis Tech Support as a credible resource except as your one final frustrating last ditch effort to get a straight answer about TrueImage. :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.