Can ATI be used like Deep Freeze?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SourMilk, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I was looking at Deep Freeze and realized that I might be able to use my already purchased ATI v8 to do the same function as Deep Freeze. Anyone disagree?

SourMilk out

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If I understand Deep Freeze correctly, it is primarily a Norton Go Back or Windows Restore on steroids with a dose of encryption and security thrown in. I don't see where it would do anything for you if your HD dies.

By making regular images with TI, particularly before you try new software, you can restore your PC to exactly what it was before you made the changes or got infected with a virus. TI will also get you up and running on a brand new HD if the existing one fails. Good enough for me.

If Deep Freeze does whole disk encrypting you may find that TI will not run as intended.

3. SourMilk

Hmmm. I didn't think about the encryption part. I just wanted to have a static drive backup that I could refresh my C: drive daily with a virus-free image. I don't think I would need any encryption if my drive image was on another drive.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

DeepFreeze is used by schools and libraries, etc. to restore the system to a defined state on each reboot. It's great because no administrator intervention is required to restore the system. Reboot, and it's back to the way it was.

Acronis doen't have that automatic restore feature. However, if you don't mind doing the restore manually (or prefer it since it allows you to reboot without restoring and to choose when to restore), TrueImage will do that very nicely. The TrueImage restore will be slower than a DeepFreeze restore since the entire disk is restored. DeepFreeze only restores changed files, so it can restore more quickly.

If you have your TrueImage backup image on a second internal hard drive, the restore should be fast enogh that you will be happy with this solution.

5. SourMilk

That is what I thought. Thanks, saved some dough.
    SourMilk out

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: DeepFreeze standard can fulfill your dream, do some search on this forum, you will find plenty of advices. Also, First Defense-ISR is another option. Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.