Can AppDefend help me?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by E-Buzz, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

I´ve been pretty curious about AppDefend for some time now, and wanted to try it out. The thing is, i am not quite sure that the program can do the things i want it to.

Basically i need a program that can control all outgoing network traffic created by various applications on my computer. Can AppDefend do that? Can i, as computer user, decide what programs can and can not access the Internet? I dont want to run a firewall for this purpose as i have a really good built-in firewall in my router that takes care of incoming traffic good enuff.

Very grateful for information.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes AppDefend can do that.

3. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

It is important for you to understand that AppDefend will control A LOT more than just application outbound traffic. So don't be alarmed by all the prompts you will be getting.

If you only want it to handle the network traffic and nothing else, you can disable the extra protection by setting everything in the .DEFAULT rules to ALLOW (except for the network protection of course.) [See Screenshot Below]

And you might also want to disable RegDefend since it comes bundled together with AppDefend (Unless you're looking for registry protection as well)

If you want full protection from AppDefend, be prepared to invest some time in learning it :)

Attached Files:

• ad3.png
      ad3.png
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  4. tayres

tayres Guest

Currently, Appdefend can allow or disallow network access to an application, but, in terms of network control, nothing beyond that. For example, it cannot control to where an application connects, which most outbound firewalls can control.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yes, appdefend is excellent if you only require outbound network protection. The thing i like about appdefend is its not too hard to use yet it offers good protection. Another good thing is the current beta doesn't actually expire, so you can give it a good trial and if you like it then get a license when the final version gets released.

6. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Although I think AppDefend is effective as an outbound network control, I am not a big fan of it. My friend downloaded Appdefend and two weeks later, he was mugged.

7. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Thank you for all the answers. It seems like i have to give the program a try out after all:) It seems like it does exactly what i want it to do, and of course much more. I already have applications doing registry control, but in the long run i would of course prefer one application that can do all the stuff i want instead of being forced to use severel ones.

Just two additional questions. Is the memory an CPU usage low? Does the program prompt for actions when program tries to access the Internet or do i have to configure each application manually?

EDIT: An extended "THANK YOU" to [suave] for great screenshot and explanation.

8. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Sorry to hear that, is he (like me) also behind a proficient hardware firewall? Like the one in my router?

9. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

The web page says: AppDefend starts off as a full trial version which turns into a free limited version after 14 days.

In what terms does it get limited?

10. [suave]

It uses amazingly low resources. If it weren't for the icon sitting in the taskbar, you wouldn't even notice it's there :)

That's one of the things I love about all the Ghost Security software.

Yes, it will prompt you on any new application trying to access the internet. It will give you the option to allow/block it once or allow/block permanently.

11. [suave]

I'm not sure I can answer that correctly. But going from what I've read in the past at this forum, that statement you quoted in bold doesn't apply to the beta version. So this beta will not expire (but you will get a nag screen every once in a while).

Another thing to keep in mind is that AppDefend has been in beta for a long time now, and its been months since we've heard any news from the developer about its progress... :(

12. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

Thanks again for answers [suave], now i feel quite comfortable with the thought of removing the firewall (really good one though, Comodo) and use AppDefend for mainly outgoing network/application control. While i´m at it i can aswell try the other nice features also. :D Much obliged!

13. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Disregard my above post. I left my friend at my computer while I was still logged in to Wilders (although I think his post was pretty funny). Am now trying out GSS and feel it is a keeper. Light and easy to use.

14. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Yep... Appdefend does a decent job of it...
    However if you are looking at better network control you need a tool like port explorer http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/

A combination of a good Network End point viewer/Controller and an a process management tool like appdefend works best when used together to tighten up all that background traffic...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.