can anyone replicate this error?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Antifreeze, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antifreeze

Antifreeze Registered Member

· Schedule an incremental backup to a usb drive
    · run the schedule to create the first full backup
    · remove the drive
    · run the schedule again

What should obviously happen is that you get a message saying that the tib file can't be found, an opportunity to connect the drive, and a chance to retry task. When the task runs, it should create an incremental backup, leaving the first full tib file intact.

What actually happens on my computer is that I get an ugly I/O error first. Pressing cancel brings up a nicer dialogue box. I plug in the usb drive, press 'retry', and the task deletes the full back up and creates a new one!

This basically means that scheduling incremental backups to a usb drive is impossible unless I keep the drive in the computer the entire time; unheard of if you're a laptop user.

Can anyone confirm this please?

Thanks.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Please tell us which version and build of TI you are using.

If this is TI 2009, then without the external drive attached it should automatically try and image to the default location which is (unless redirected) to a folder called My_backups in your My Documents folder.

If you are making files and folder backups, then I'm not too sure what happens.

Colin

3. Antifreeze

> If this is TI 2009, then without the external drive attached it should
    > automatically try and image to the default location which is (unless
    > redirected) to a folder called My_backups in your My Documents folder

There is a folder called /documents/MyBackups but ATI home 2009 did not write anything to it. In fact, I'm glad it didn't - what awful behaviour! I don't want an 86gb file in my documents directory. All backups are supposed to go on the usb hard drive; that's what i bought it for afterall.

Without the hard drive attached, ATI home 2009 did exactly as I described above. That behaviour isn't replicated on your system?

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

No that doesn't happen on my systems - either laptop Vista SP1 business or desktop XP pro SP3.

So you have now divulged the slightly secret version of TI we're talking about, what about the most secret element, the build number?

(press ALT key to get the Help/About menu to appear)

5. Antifreeze

> the build number?

It is the 15 day trial download: 12.0.0.9709
    I downloaded it a few days ago.

Maybe the trial version isn't the same as the most recent registered update?
    That would explain the difference in behaviour.

FYI, a user in one of the other threads confirmed the I/O error(s).

I'm still experimenting with running schedules with the hard drive disconnected. It seems to be that *usually*, if I cancel the scheduler's I/O error (instead of trying to use its 'retry' open), and then open ATI properly from the scheduler's taskbar icon, I can plug in the drive and use 'retry' in the other dialogue successfully. Usually anyway; there still seems to be occasions when the backup is not incremental.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image Home 2009!

Let's keep the discussion in one thread, so all the information about the issue will be available in one place.

Thank you.
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.