Can anyone recommend a good firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by emuleman, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emuleman

emuleman Registered Member

Hello,
    Just got NOD32 and I love it! I have read that it is best used with a firewall to completely safeguard your computer system, correct? Could anyone recommend a decent firewall? I heard the windows firewall that comes with XP has its limitations, and that is doesn't provide enough protection, is this true? Just looking for something I can install to give me a little bit more peace of mind knowing my computer is protected. I have seen a few free firewalls as well as some that need to be purchased. Do you really get more protection from the ones you purchase, or are some of the free ones ok? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!!

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Are you using a hardware firewall ? if not then I would get one in preference to any software available.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

The Windows Firewall would be provide inbound protection but if you want outbound protection too then you could take a look at Comodo Firewall.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Make sure Windows Firewall is set to ON + Don't allow exceptions , then you can test it here:

Stealth test:
    http://www.pcflank.com/scanner1s.htm

Advanced port scanner:
    http://www.pcflank.com/scanner1.htm

I like Windows Firewall because of the fact it is simple and effective - keeping intruders out . You can also try ZoneAlarm or Outpost , or the new Eset Smart Security (still in BETA , all-in-one suite with AV,AS and firewall protection in it)

Read this post about firewalls
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24415

5. Thanasis159

Thanasis159 Registered Member

Comodo hands down!!! Great firewall!!!

6. Long View

Long View Registered Member

7. Thanasis159

From my experience it is great. It gives great outbound protection, it is relatively light on resources and it is free... I don't think that any other firewall can top that. And i mean in all three ways. I think that the only firewall ( i am always talking from my experience in order to avoid misunderstanings) that is quite as good or even better is Outpost Firewall Pro but it is quite pricey. I saw the post you are talking about and things like 1 and 2 have never happened to me. No CPU utilisation ( i monitor dll injections) and I 've never had any web browsing speed slowdown. The loggings are not perfect I agree as for the uninstaller... I don't think I'll ever need it. In my opinion it is a great catch for 0 euros.

8. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

give a try to Online Armor.

Good firewall with HIPS and easy to manage :)

9. Megachip

Megachip Registered Member

Free Firewalls:
    Comodo (V3 seems to be nice, but alpha state) and Sunbelt (former kerio)

Paidware:
    Outpost

10. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Comodo and a version 3 is in the pipeline soon.

11. Thanasis159

With many improvements including HIPS!

12. Sxperm

Sxperm Registered Member

I have experienced with 2 firewalls - ZA Pro and Comodo. I am the one who switched from ZA pro to test Comodo and found many conflicts while I was using.

- I cannot use webcam viewing via MSN or webcam would be terminated.
    - I cannot use bittorrent like Bitcomet

Both of them I set to highest trust level but it still have a problem so I had decided to come back to ZA pro. I think Comodo is best firewall for protect outbound and free but it need to improve about software compatibility.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

One big difference between ZA and CFP is that eventually ZA will screw up your computer, usually when you do an update. Comodo is reliable.

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I must interject and say that I have never experienced any problem / conflict with ZoneAlarm firewalls - they are simple, reliable and quite effective. A very decent choice for anyone.
    Mrk

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Mrkvonic, I remember when the ZA fw was simple and reliable. As of the last few years the Zone Labs boys have added a little too much bloat for me. I had half of ZASS disabled just before I made my last update to 6.5 as I recall. I bought version 5.5 originally after using the basic fw for a few years, and updated successfully each time until I pushed my luck once too often and got a really screwed up version along with alot of other folks. Just check the ZA forum and you'll see quite a few people at their wits end. Check it a week after any update, and people are really upset. Some folks are still using versions in the 4.0 series because they're too afraid to update. I just won't put myself through that misery just to keep the product. I did the complicated clean uninstall (while smoking a half pack of cigerettes LOL) and switched to Comodo. Immediately my computer had new life. it responded more crisper, booted up faster, and shut down faster. However, if you don't have any problems with ZA, I'm glad. :)

16. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I started using the Firewall ZoneAlarm Free on my very first computer, after a few years I went to ZAP 3 it was Great. I stoped using ZAP at 5.72 because it keept blocking stuff that had clear access and it was bloated too. I have been using outpost Pro for about 3 years now. It too is getting to be a resource hog. About the up coming Comodo firewall v3.0 I am definitely going to try the beta.

17. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Comodo is my recommendation.

18. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello!

I would definately give Online-Armor a try. It is very easy to use and set up. It also has HIPS which gives you extra protection. I also have used Comodo Pro and i didnt have any problems with it. Like others have said they are brinning out new version (it is still in alpha stage) which also going to have HIPS in it.

19. fce

fce Registered Member

i already used Jetico and KIS firewall....but i feel more safer to Comodo Ver.3

you gotta try it to believe it...and test your firewall to be sure.

I try Hightecboy link and the result for comodo is all Stealthed.

20. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I have had few problems with the current version of ZA --- It really doesn't screw up your computer. Comodo has its own problems. I personally think that Comodo has just as much potential to cause damage as ZA. It is your choice but if you have the memory available (I don't) I could be happy with ZA. Comodo has one of the worst log files I have ever seen. Making up firewall rules isn't that easy either. ZA allows for easy networking & has a decent form of HIPS. There are Many firewalls but I think the best one is the one that works for you if your happy with it use it. ZA is very safe . Comodo 2.4.7 really now has no support at all. Comodo is busy with the next version & understandably is preoccupied with version 3. I just recently decided to try Private Firewall I am very happy with it. It just works & has great hips.

21. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Have tried many,the only one I can really recomend is Look N Stop
    30 day trial if your interested.
    Don't forget Anti spyware and possiably a HIPS for added protection.
    Because just a firewall and AV will not compleatly safeguard your computer system.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  22. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

If you're not too worried about outbound protection and/or have other means to filter it without having to use a bulky, resource consuming 3'rd party firewall... then just use Windows Firewall. It blocks intrusions just fine and it's extremely light & simple.

I've found Comodo Pro 2.4 to be a very good firewall to my experiences. The only problem I've run into is that it deletes logs at reboot, but that really isn't a big deal to me. If you want both inbound & outbound protection, and don't want to pay for it, it's the best choice out there IMO.

Somebody recommended getting a hardware firewall, this is excellent advice. This measure is far more important than deciding on software. You'll get conflicting opinions on software because if differs with each individuals setup, but you'll find it's unanimous that people recommend a hardware based solution to intrusions. A NAT router w/ SPI firewall is the way to go.

When Comodo 3 is perfected I'm going to give it a good hard look. If it's what I expect it to be it will take the place of my Windows Firewall/Prevx combo. Keep your eye on this.

As for Zone Alarm, I think they had a good product all the way up to 6.5. I used ZASS 6.5 and was happy with it. The AV engine wasn't that good but I never got infected anyway, I loved the firewall. Ever since this Checkpoint company took over they completely ruined what was a decent product IMO. Zonelabs did a much better job.

23. Doc Serenity

Doc Serenity Registered Member

I used Comodo for awhile but had too many problems.
    And it's a bit difficult to remove.
    Online Armor is keeping me happy. And has great support too.
    Good luck.
    Doc

24. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

Online Armor is my choice. OA isn't free, but you can trial it and decide for youself. Once you set it up, you'll hardly notice it's running. It's also light on system resources. Currently only for XP, but the team is looking to bring a Vista version to market. You'll find OA at www.tallemu.com.

A new build is in the works and should be out soon; Mike says in the Tall Emu General Help forum maybe next week. It has quite a few new features and improvements.

Best...

25. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

If you truly want a no muss, no fuss, easiest FW to use that gives you inbound/ outbound protection Online Armor is it.

Believe me, you will get peace of mind with OA FW and it uses very little resources which is a big plus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.