Can anyone help me with OTFBrutus GUI?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by HopelesslyFaithful, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Registered Member

Hi i am trying to decrypt a file container that i have forgotten the password to and i can't get it to run after reading the help file.

It gives me error message that start index is larger than password length. 1>-50000000 or something like that. I am not using a password definition file so i am not sure why i am getting this error. I am trying to do a pattern.

This was my custom pattern I tried using but never works due to error above. I tried using a general one too if i made an error in my pattern

tried this
    [ -~]{8-20}
    and this is mine
    [qwertyQWERTY1-7!@#$%^& ]{8-20} I might have put a space in their so i put a space at the end which i think is the right way?

Thanks for the help!

here is screen shot too

Oh also i know i used whirlpool hash but not sure if it was AES-twofish-serpent or vice versa so i selected both

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5844/otfbrutusscreenshot.png

2. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Registered Member

BUMP can anyone help?

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I'm a bit rusty on all of that right now. You should try to contact Tateu, the developer. He's on this site and he also has his own website at tateu.net

4. tateu

tateu Registered Member

Sorry, I've been a little lax in keeping up with my usual forums lately...I posted a reply on my site and I'll post it here too.

You use password patterns that contain way, way, way (and just for good measure one more) way too many password possibilities.

[ -~]{8} (without the -20) contains (95^:cool: 6,634,204,312,890,625 possible passwords. That's in the quadrillions.
    [ -~]{8-20} contains so many possibilities that OTFBrutus GUI can't even do the math to count high enough (95^8 + 95^9 + ... + 95^19 + 95^20). Same goes for your second password pattern.

[qwertyQWERTY1-7!@#$%^& ]{20} contains (27^20) 42,391,158,275,216,203,514,294,433,201 possible passwords. That's in the octillions.

The most possibilities that OTFBrutus GUI can try is 2^63 - 1, which is 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 (which is in the quintillions).

That's all just theoretical though and doesn't matter in the real world because there is no way your computer can try anywhere near that many possibilities in your entire lifetime. Just try a simple pattern of [a-z]{4} and look at how many passwords per second it can try. With the first three hash algorithms checked, XTS mode and all encryption algorithms checked, my 16 thread Quad core machine can only try about 150 passwords per second. There are 3,600 seconds in an hour so my computer can try 540,000 passwords per hour.

OTFBrutus GUI can really only help in situations where you forgot a few characters of your password, not an entire password of 20+ characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.