Can anyone help me with a router problem (Dlink DIR-615)?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by zopzop, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

exactly i'm just throwing up possibles too however unlikely as he doesn't have a spare router to test with.

i would swap it for another router. d-link are one of the better makes. if you go back to older firmware or can you not take it to a friends to test. IF it that bad you might as well use old router until you can find a replacement. if it WPA use a full ascii 64 character password that be very secure. It not worth buying another router just for WPA2. Sure in your case being WEP. WPA-PSK still requires brute force and using a long ascii password this becomes unrealistic to break. In these situations having spare parts or friends,family with internet is beneficial otherwise buying cables, etc. connectors to test if it faulty can become more expensive than if turns out to be router which sending back can be the less hassle. i would wait a week to see if your ISP the cause of it and ring them in the mean time.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  2. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

ok update, nothing i've tried works. the losses in connection continue. BUT i did notice something. the loss of internet happens when i download HUGE files (like the ubuntu iso). this only happens when i'm connected through the router. if i'm connected directly to my cable modem no problem. i've repeated this "test", ie downloading huge files when connected to the router then connected to my cable modem. the results are the same.

this new info any help?

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

From the DIR-615 kb accessed from the link in my first post:

Of course you mention ed earlier you were going to try this, so if it hasn't helped, then I'm not sure what else to suggest :(

4. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

yup i tried it and it didn't work. to make things worse the loss of connectivity happens for both my wireless and my wired connections to the router. i don't understand what it can be.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi zopzop,

did you try the ipconfig /all after losing the connection? Is your machine losing its ip address? You know, if the router is still under warranty, why not try returning it for another? it could very well be faulty. I'm starting to believe this.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

D Links are notorious for using weak crappy power supplies which reset the router at the slightest fluctuation. I had the problem where the router would reset itself after every power fluctuation, the D Link service were helpless even after they changed the power supply twice. Finally I sold that router for Netgear which comes with a far beefier supply.

7. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@wat0114

it's still under warranty, i've only had it about 3 months. i'm finally broke down and emailed costumer support telling them basically everything i told you guys. they told me to call a number. i'll see how it goes.

ps ipconfig /all showed that i have an IP address 192.168.0.101.

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

What are your Internet Protocol Properties?
    Can you post a screenshot?

Gerard

9. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

well here's an update to my story. after i emailed dlink tech support they responded VERY quickly (which is a surprise since it's the weekend). in the email they told me to call a tech support number. i was connected to a tech support guy very quickly and he walked me through a series of changes to my router.

he told me to call back in an hour or so if the problem persisted. the problem was still there (losing connection). i called back and they told me not to worry that the router was probably defective and that they'd send me a new one.

man i really HATE this router but the dlink customer support staff and policy was awesome. from the reply to my email to me getting a replacement router didn't even take 24 hours! i'm sticking with dlink :thumb:

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Prompt, reliable and courteous support means a lot and not too common these days. I hope it all works out in the end for you zopzop. Good luck!

11. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

in my excitement of finally getting a working router i forgot to thank everyone on this thread that tried to help me solve this problem. :oops:

thanks guys.

12. markymoo

great service. surprisingly he didn't ask you a lot of questions. did you drop the phone in shock?

zopzop, sorry i mistakenly called you appster who is another forum member of this board due to you having the same or very similar avatar :gack: .

13. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@markymoo

lol yeah, i was surprised at how painless the whole process was. fast, friendly customer service and no nonsense product replacement policy.

ps i finally figured out how to upload my own custom avatar, no more mistaken identities here! :p

14. markymoo

maybe he knew of an issue with the Dlink DIR-615 - lol just kidding. i love when it is painless for customers with genuine problem not pulling a fast one. smooth,efficient and stress free. that's why i like going to a smaller company you can get a more personal, helpful level of service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.