can anyone help me get XP working over ethernet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, my XP install has never worked on my LAN, but the computer it's on works fine with Linux so all the hardware and cables are working. XP will also work if it uses a different modem which doesn't use ethernet.

so, can anyone show me how to get it working? or which settings should work? thanks.

2. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Since Linux is able to connect and you don't mention that you had to set that up, I assume that you have a DHCP server on your lan.
    Since Windows XP would automatically find that server, I suspect that you need to install the driver for your network card.

Go to System Properties (hold windows key and push pause key) and then to the hardware tab and device manager.
    See if you find a yellow question mark.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'll go and have a look now. thanks. didn't think about drivers :rolleyes:

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it said it was disabled. i enabled it now, i'll see if it works with a reboot.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the driver works now, but something is blocking access to the LAN, it's not connecting. i probably disabled loads of stuff along time ago.

does ethernet need any service running? or anything like that?

i have a DHCP server. or at least i've never assigned anything so i must have.

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Here is a list with default settings for services, compare that with your system.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

nothing works at all!! everytime i click on something it says the service isn't running, or it tries to load something with IE's settings so the page is blank.

i might try a reinstall, or probably a repair, because this install isn't really working, i installed about 60% of the programs on the E drive and i formatted that to make space for Linux. i mainly kept it because i have lots of music on it so i can just mount the XP partition from Linux.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Is gateway a linux machine (suse)?
    Then you should try the novell cool solutions I posted in my suse install article, on page 6. I used that setup, it worked for me 50%, once it did, one it did not. You need to setup dhcp server, you need configure the firewall etc.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.