can an OS backup work on other hard disks?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tendercare, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tendercare

tendercare Registered Member

hi,:)

For instance I just installed:

1.windowsxp (with slipstreamed service pack 2)
    2.windows updates
    3.Acronis
    4.Tweak UI
    5.microsoft office
    6.photoshop cs
    7.Nero
    8.printer & scanner software
    9.codecs

(no motherboard & videocard drivers yet)

then I backup my OS using Acronis,

Can that backed-up OS be used to operate other hard disks? I have 3 pcs to setup and I was wondering if it was possible to go through the drudgery only once o_O

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

The answer is a definite perhaps. Are the systems essentially identical? If so it will probably work, but you will have only one Windows XP install code. That's going to cause problems later on and would be a good reason not to do this.

3. rafael

rafael Registered Member

It will only work if all computers have exactly the same system and hardwares. I mean everything must be identical. One computer can download security patches from microsoft but the other two will have problems as validation ( checking of system, hardwares and licenses ) needs to be done and previous patches checked from data base before before downloads will be allowed.

To simplify matters, It will work if everything is the same and but never never do security updates to the other two computers. In my opinion, it is best to have separate licensed xp os for each computer.

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Not only better, to not do so is illegal.

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, rafael

I differ on that statament.

If the Chipsets are the same it will boot, but there will be the drivers to sort out. :'(

Then there's the Repair Install. o_O

Or tendercare can try Acronis FAQ (sysprep). :mad:

Also the is the Case that Howard Kaikow points to:-
    It's a must to get another [second] Licence.

Take care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  6. DeLorean

DeLorean Registered Member

It can be done if the hal.dll on the source pc is compatible with the required hal.dll of the destination pc.
    More info about compatibility of the hal.dll :
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

But cloning an image to multiple pc's is illegal if you not got
    the right license from Microsoft to deploy 1 Windows installation to more than 1 pc.

Greetz
    DeLorean

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tendercare,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Besides of the above posted recommendations, I would also like to mention that even in case of using Microsoft System Preparation tool (sysprep) no one can guarantee the successful transferring of the operating system to a computer with hardware configuration different from that of the original machine. The point is that sysprep allows replacing drivers only for Plug-and-Play devices (sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc.). As for system HAL and boot device driver, they must be identical in the source and target computers (see Microsoft Knowledge Base, articles 302577 and 216915).

If you want to be completely sure that the restored operating system will boot and function normally then we recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore for your purposes. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial HAL and hard disk controller drivers. Please read more information on how to use Acronis Universal Restore in Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide.

We also recommend that you download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

If you want to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal and provide the link to this thread in your request.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product. Note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase. In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.