Can Acronis True Image Do This?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Antibuddha, Feb 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antibuddha

Antibuddha Registered Member

I would like to create a clean install XP hard disk using Acronis. Do I understand correctly that ATI-8 is able to image individual programs for restoration? My thought was that I could create a safety zone and separate image partition to house my current system image in a single in-system hard drive and then wipe a second in-system hard drive and attempt the clean install of XP. I would like to be able to install XP and add critical program images (firewall, antivirus, etc.) one program at a time. One possible problem I have is that I have installed important programs as direct hard disk downloads from the software manufacturer's sites and don't have installation CDs. Will True Image allow me to move these images to the clean install drive without other unwanted programs and data migrating from one disk to the other?

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

If you do a clean install you can subsequently move any individual file from a previous backup to the new system; this includes programs. However, copying a program from a backup to the new partition will not recreate any registry entries that would normally be created by an installation program. If you never ran an installation program in the first place and these are free standing .exe and .dll files then it will not be a problem.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Antibuddha,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Acronis True Image is not file-based but sector-based software. It means that you can image sectors of your hard disk but not separate files. However you can mount the image and copy necessary files from it.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.