Can Acronis True Image 8 do the following?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cripster, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cripster

cripster Registered Member

I am thinking of buying a brand new boxed version of Acronis True Image from a store that's going out of business and holding it for me.

I need to know if it can do the following:

1. Day 01 - Make Full Backup
    2. Day 02 - Make Incremental Backup
    3. Day 03 - Install New Software. Make Incremental Backup
    4. Day 04 - Make Incremental Backup
    5. Day 05 - Install New Software. Make Incremental Backup.
    6. Day 06 - Make Incremental Backup
    7. Day 07 - Make Incremental Backup

Now suppose I find that the software loaded on Day 3 has caused problems. Is there any way to Restore the Images made on Days 1 and 2 WITHOUT loading all the remaining images from Days 3 through 7?

If version 8 cannot do this, is there a version of True Image that can?

Thanks for your help.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Although I am not at all a fan of making incremental images, yes, you can restore the base image or the first incrementals without restoring the later incrementals. However, you cannot restore the incremental for day 4 without restoring the day 3 incremental.

Because many files change on the boot partition, incrementals are not a great deal smaller than the full backup in most cases. Therefore, I prefer to make full backups only. However, that's my personal preference, and what you have asked is a definite Yes.

3. cripster

cripster Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response. I asked a friend who uses ATI with the above scenario and he tried Exploring the Image made on Day 2 and it seemed to mount all the images in that backup. We realized that mount/exploring an image is different from Restoring an image, but he thought it would be a good simulation. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to mount those first 2 images. Is there a special switch or commandline that has to be invoked?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cripster,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as jmk94903 said this can be done with Acronis True Image. In order to restore the system to the state before you installed the new software on day three you will need the initial full backup and the incremental backup created on day 2 only.

I would also like to correct a little bit jmk94903 reply, namely this part
    Please note that you do not need to restore incremental backup created on day 3 first. If you would like to restore your system to the moment of the increamental backup created on day 4 you should select any incremental backup archive in the "Recovery" Wizard and then Acronis True Image will offer you to select the time to restore to (check the screen shot below).

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home in the respective User's Guide (Chapter 6. "Restoring the backup data").

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.