Can a PS3 become infected and send spam?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by noone_particular, Nov 3, 2014.

1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'm getting spam from a family member. As far as I know, he does not have a computer or a smartphone, only a PS3. Can these be infected with spamming malware?

2. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

I don't know of any game system malware off the top of my head.

Are you getting spam from his PSN account or from an email provider? Either way, forget about the PS3 for a minute. Is it possible that he just has a weak password for his email and it got hijacked? Or maybe, even if he doesn't have a computer, one of the last ones he was on to check his email was infected? Or maybe it's just his email provider itself being junk.

edit

But if you really wanted to test the PS3 out, I suppose you could hook it up to a router and use Wireshark. I assume anyway, I've never done anything like it before.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Agreed, it likely isn't coming for the PS3. Probably a hacked email account. I have received spam from email and skype before when someone just had a really bad password and some automated spam system logs in just long enough to send the message and logs back out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.