Can a format or software setting damage a harddrive?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Sully, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

It is a question I have often thought about. I have seen a few others say that formatting or installing a certain OS ruined thier drives. I used to scoff at such an idea, as I did not see how software could damage the physical disks.

However, now I wonder. I had two WD 750g drives in raid 0. They were perhaps almost two years old. They never posed an issue at all, until I installed the RC of win7. After that I had corruption, and eventually had to have one RMA'd. Recently I had a cd-rom drive that I thought was bad. Lots of issues in win7, some in XP. After unplugging the suspected bad cd-rom drive, xp seemed happy. Then I noticed a s.m.a.r.t error.

So now I wonder, I bought 3 of those drives at the same time. The one that was never formatted by win7, it works great. The remaining one from the raid array I think is going to fail.

Could it have been a format or something about the OS that caused this? Has anyone experienced similar issues or have knowledge of this type of thing?

Sul.

2. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Sometimes I get the impression that Win 7 is a little rough on hardware.

Looking forward to the responses to your question.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

i always believe that is some underlying weakness in hd manufacturing that is exposed by normal operation/use. Formatting is one of such activities

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't think so, unless you overstress your HDD?
    Which could be possible i think :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.