California's Do Not Track (DNT) bill close to becoming law

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by acr1965, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I wonder if it will apply to the NSA ;)

3. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Law is law. It is black and white when it comes to punishing poeople and so it will apply towards the government.

4. mirimir

Seriously?

5. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

The problems with laws is they derive their power from an enforcer. In the U.S. this role is served by law enforcement agencies. Many of which rely on funding by the federal government to operated. It would be a serious mistake to presume any laws written at the federal, state, or city/county level hold any weigh. Only the powerless, those conditioned to be scared of punishment, work with the system. The only way we are going to retain any security and privacy is if we are wiling to operate outside of framework these entities have helped to established. We need hardware and software that doesn't comply with federal mandates for wiretapping. Its about time we draw the line. No we will not back-door our software and technology. No we will be not decrypt our data upon request. No we will limit our selves to encryption algorithms approved by this nations government. That is how you ensure security and privacy. Any compromise here, even for the convenience of making things easier is unacceptable. That's how we ended up in this mess to begin with. Corporations are no different. They see $$$ when it comes to advertising and data mining. Sorry but if easy money is out of reach for the average Joe. Then why shouldn't that be the standard for fortune 500s?

6. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i had to laugh when i saw your post - just as the IRS, the NSA, and esp. the current administration laugh in the face of our representatives in Congress.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks, I lol'd.

8. mirimir

As I've posted before, Bruce Schneier is calling for engineers to revolt :)

-http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/05/government-betrayed-internet-nsa-spying

9. JackmanG

JackmanG Former Poster

I'm sorry, what?

The question was whether the law would apply to the NSA, and your reply is "law is law"? Is that supposed to be a joke?

10. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

i am an engineer, and i am already revolting. i know that because my ex-wife has been telling me that i am ever since she left.

anyway, you can't punish the gubbermint without their permission.

11. Reality

Reality Registered Member

LOL, but seriously, getting to be a familiar story me thinks, especially in the 5 prism countries. I saw yet more evidence of this as our NZ govt just passed laws to spy on us, never mind that the majority of people are against it. When govts (repeatedly) don't listen to the people then that is irrefutable evidence you have a dictatorship.

12. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Thanks for sharing this, I wasn't aware of this article. He makes some excellent points though:

we need more whistle blowers.
    we need to embrace open protocols, implementations, and systems.
    we need to re-engineer legacy systems such as the internet.

A lot of people that I've spoken with are legitimately worried about this, but don't feel they can do anything to change this. I've also had a lot more folks asking me about using Tor and VPNs. So it would seem people are willing to rally behind this in light of PRISM and some of the other scandals. The open-source community is IMHO our best chance at empowering users.

13. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Any state law passed by any legislature cannot modify or nullify a Federal Law like the Patriot law which gives the NSA the right to track if it wants to, The Federal government is only answerable to the US Federal Court system. Legislatures all over the USA seem to think they can modify or Nullify US Federal laws & the government just sends their lawyers into court & the judge will then simply declare the law an unconstitutional limitation of the federal government.

14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

~Comment removed~ Your statement isn't even true for regular citizens, so how can you possibly think it applies to government? Federal law always has and always will trump state law, so there was no way to "punish" the government to begin with even if law was black and white. Last but not least, this law seems to only apply to Cali folks. So the rest of us are as screwed as ever, not that it matters to Cali that much considering that this law only requires websites saying how they react to DNT flags and doesn't really specify what the customer can actually do beyond the normal "use or don't use said website".

It's pretty toothless.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  15. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Yeah I was obviously being sarcastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.