Cached Passwords

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by I_lack_commonsense, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_lack_commonsense

I_lack_commonsense Registered Member

Hi

Ive read that it is recommended not to keep cached passwords on your computer, like for your internet connection and such. How easy would it be to crack a cached password remotely. I hear a lot of tools would automate the process. I am rather concerned because i am setting up a computer for a family member and i know they would much rather have the password cached than type it out everytime. Would there be any other way to secure a cached password?

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Cracking passwords first requires someone to get access to the password files, be they cached or not.
    When a system is only moderately secure, there is little or no fear of a cracker getting access to the password files.

In fact it's not the system, but the computer user that's the main risk... downloading all kinds of dangerous software (trojans, hidden keyloggers and remote access tools). So next to securing the system (firewall, anti-virus and so on) educating the users is even more important.

3. JayK

JayK Poster

I would say educating users is more important then forcing them to use firewalls, antiviruses which they have no idea how to use anyway.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I agree with these two; cached passwords shouldn't be a problem unless there's people with physical access to the computer whom the owner would prefer not be able to connect or whatever else is "password protected."

Definitely, the most important thing is safe use of the machine, not opening unknown files, downloading lots of stuff without doing their "homework" first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.