Cable Modem Hacking Goes Mainstream

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Zhen-Xjell, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell Security Expert

If cable modem hacking hasn't become a huge problem for service providers, it's probably because the process remains intimidating for non-technical users. The subscriber has to program a DOCSIS configuration file with a special editor, run their own TFTP server, change their IP address and run an DHCP server that tricks the modem into pulling the config file from their host. Dedicated hobbyists have refined the procedure and written tools to automate key portions of it, but pitfalls and caveats abound.

But that's all about to change, with the pending release of "OneStep," a user-friendly all-in-one tool that promises to make cable modem uncapping a point-and-click sport.

More Here w/Links

2. snowman

snowman Guest

ZHEN

what say old friend..I haven't shared a thread with you in months so thought I would drop by with a friendly "HI".......hope all has been exceedingly well with you.

snowman

3. Zhen-Xjell

Hi'ya snowman.. yes it has been quite a while.  I've been trying to get things back in order on the homefront ... but in the meantime if I have a moment to spare I try to stop by and read the content if not respond.

How are you?

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

This is an interesting post (and a link to an interesting article). The scary thing is what restrictions will this cause cable ISPs to put on their customers now, and what will happen to those unfortunate few that are NOT running the software when everyone else in their "neighborhood" is and is using up the allotted bandwidth?  :-/

What's also rather alarming is, from what I understand on the OneStep page, the OneStep software will connect to a server to download an "authentication pack" to ensure "it can only be used when [they] want you to"...couldn't that connection very well be exploited using data gained from it? (IP at LEAST would be sent, if not other data...)

Not to mention - isn't that program illegal to use in almost every instance? (Yeah, they have a disclaimer - but that only covers them - if anyone.)

-javacool

5. Zhen-Xjell

One would think that such subversion is illegal and its something I certainly won't be tampering with.   But then again, even visiting malware sites you see "disclaimers".  Would you use those apps?

6. root

root Registered Member

Let me show my ignorance here a bit.
    What is cable modem hacking, uncapping, etc? I'm a 56kr and am not familiar with what youre discussing here.

7. Zhen-Xjell

The DOCSIS modems that cable companies use are able to have their bandwidth controlled.  When the modem powers up it connects to the server and grabs certain information, which includes what the upload and download speeds are.  "Cracking" this simply means changing that information to increase (or decrease) the numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.