Cable/DSL Router & UPnP

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TheKid7, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just replaced my "old" Belkin 54G Cable/DSL Router with a new "Wired" D-Link Gaming Router. I changed the default password and checked to make sure that my Firewall was on by default.

I noticed that UPnP is enabled by default. It seems that I read somewhere that having UPnP enabled is a Security risk. Should I turn off UPnP?

Are there any other settings that I should change?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Turn it off. I doubt you will need it.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

UPnP is hardly a security risk on a trusted network, I always keep it on and recommend to do so. Without it you need to fall back to port forwarding, which is far too much hassle for most people, or to explain to most people.

Many programs today take advantage of UPnP, such as Skype, live messenger, Spotify and even some popular games such as Modern Warfare 2, and the XBox itself.

It is perfectly safe on non-public networks.

4. fax

fax Registered Member

+1 :thumb: keep it ON. With a fully patched system and a router that is updated and secured the risks will be remote and not proportional to the hassle (and security risks) of manually opening ports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.