Cable and ADSL routers.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tradetime, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Hi, I currently have an ADSL internet connection and a Netgear router. I am moving soon and most likely to end up with cable internet. Is there a difference between the sort of router that handles ADSL and that which handles cable. (I have never used cable so am unfamiliar with it)
    Thanx

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

There is no difference afaik, just make sure your getting a dsl/cable router and not a router w/ modem.

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Yep I can confirm there is no difference in the router for both of those internet connections. I've used my routers with both DSL and Cable before. On another note, DSL wil use a "PPPoE" connection and Cable will use "Automatic Connection DHCP" in the router setup.

dja2k

4. tradetime

Thanx for the replies, for some reason I had the impressin they were different, but never having used cable have no idea where I got that idea.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some ISP's don't require PPPoE. In my case, I have a direct connection to a smaller provider.

6. herbalist

herbalist Guest

My DSL comes from a smaller company as well. A neighbor on the next block uses the same company. We both have the same vendor supplied modem. Theirs is configured to use PPPoE while mine came configured in bridge mode. Their IP changes regularly. Mine never has. We have the same service, 864/160 DSL. With some providers, DSL service can be ordered either way.
    AFAIK, the routers are the same but the modems can be different.
    Rick

7. tradetime

On further investigation a router for ADSL has an ADSL modem in built in order to interact with the phone line, a cable/DSL router does not, as the cable company provides its own cable modem. The main difference being the connection to source of signal. With cable the source of signal is the cable modem, and the router connects to this via an RJ 45 cable. With ADSL the source of the signal is the telephone point and the router, containing an in built modem, connects to this by means of an RJ 11 cable

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home_newnetwork_routers.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.