cab files

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Arun, Aug 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arun

Arun Guest

Question for my on info - What are cab files? I thought these were just back ups of my original computer comfiguration (or last saved configuration) and in case of problems I can get my computer to its previosu state state. But when I received your recommendations, I had to clean some can files too. Was this recommendation to make sure that i wont reinstall the erased trojans/spyware in case I use the backup files in case of a problem? Or am I totally wrong in what I was thinking about Cab files?

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Arun,

In Microsoft program development, a cabinet is a single file created to hold a number of compressed files. A related set of cabinet files can be contained in a folder. During installation of a program, the compressed files in a cabinet are decompressed and copied to an appropriate directory for the user. A cabinet file usually has the file name suffix of ".cab". Microsoft uses cabinet files in distributing its own products, such as PowerPoint, Microsoft Office for Windows, and Microsoft Money. Cabinet files save space and time during software distribution. They are decompressed during installation. Large files can be compressed and included in more than one cabinet file, each of which logically points to the next file, with all contained in a logical folder.
    Development accountability for cabinet files is ensured by providing a signed digital certificate with the cabinet file. One "signature" covers all the files in a cabinet file. Cabinet files are created using Lempel-Ziv compression.

Source: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci213833,00.html

MicroSoft are not the only ones using cabinet files though.

HTH,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.