CA Protection Suite...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by YeOldeStonecat, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I haven't been a Computer Associates fan lately...due to experiences in the past with their corporate antivirus solutions and backup solutions.

Yesterday I was down at Microsofts NYC office for a workshop by SMB Nation, that renowned SBS'r Harry Brelsford put on. (Small Business Server) Was a great presentation.

Of note...CA had a guy there presenting a new suite they had aimed at SMBs (Small to Medium Businesses)...called CA Protection Suite.

It's a single application really, that combines 4x areas...into one tidy centrally managed product.

*Antivirus...needs no explanation
    *Antispyware...probably Pestpatrol technology
    *Backup/Restore...for workstations/laptops. End users even have the option to restore files if you allow them.
    *Desktop Migration...to ease replacement/upgrades of end users workstations/laptops.

All managed through a single web management console from the server, which the usual features of products like this..remote deployment, etc.

http://www3.ca.com/smb/solution.aspx?id=5312&culture=en-us

It's something I'll definitely keep my eye on. The concept of touching these 4x areas with one product is great. The effectiveness of their antivirus product is another matter....I've always considered their past AV products a bit clunky to manage on a larger network, and I've seen stuff slip past it. I know their current eTrust is lightweight and average in effectiveness of viruses/worms, but not as strong as other AV solutions when it comes to ad/spyware, like NOD and Kapersky. But in this suite, with PestPatrol technology..might be neat to look at.

2. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

just think of this as zonealarm internet security lite

3. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

Not quite... I think the big part you didn't catch from his statement was "centrally managed product", ZA cannot do that as far as I know. :)

4. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

This would be true for the retail HOME version, but what they are touting is a business package, so it remains to be seens what this package can really do.

5. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.