CA Internet Security Suite component blocking flash

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mfenech, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfenech

mfenech Registered Member

I'm posting this here since I believe the firewall is the cause...

Friend has CA IS Suite, and upgraded to the 2007 version last week. Now he can't bring up flash components on websites, using either IE or Firefox. I had him reinstall FF and Flash Player for non-IE, just in case, and no change. Any users of CA ISS know where this might being blocked in the settings, or if it may be being blocked by the anti-spyware component? He just installed the update over the existing version, so all the settings should be the defaults.

If there's another CA-centric forum I should post this, please reply with the URL.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

You could try:- Privacy/mobilecode control/Advanced~ and change the settings for "block embedded objects" to "allow" to see if that helps. (I currently dont have this firewall setup to check)

3. mfenech

Thanks, Stem. I'll have him try that asap.

4. mfenech

Well, that didn't work. He unchecked the 'Embedded Objects' block option. He booted the PC just in case, and still no luck. Any other ideas?

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Is this installed on XP? (I will install the suite to see if I can reproduce this problem)

6. mfenech

XP Pro. All settings at default, except as mentioned. He did install this version over the previous one, but I'm certain the settings were at default before.

Thanks for the help :)

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I did manage to reproduce this problem, (this doesnt show in the firewall (only) installation)

The sites you visit, that you want to use "flash" can be entered into the "manage sites" as an exception (you can allow "all" for the site to start, and then cut down the "allow" options to suit the content required)
    I did check this by going to youtube.com, which uses flash for the vids, I was blocked from seeing the vids untill I entered the site via "manage sites", then no problem with the vids(flash).

I didn`t have time to re-check to see if other settings (global) could achieve this,... but from the settings, you should know the direction to take if you need to take this to global settings.

Post back if still any problems, I will have more time tomorrow to have another check on this suite.

pic to show:-

Attached Files:

8. mfenech

Thanks...I'll have him do that.

I know there will be instances where one doesn't know flash is being blocked, for example, on myspace music pages where an embedded media player gets blocked and will show no sign of being there in the first place. So, a global setting will be more practical. Was there any place in the setup wizard that had the option to block flash, and that he may have set it by accident? I'm asking because I can't believe this would be the default configuration.

Thanks again.

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The default setup is blocking flash,... I will be installing again to see if this can be bypassed in the global settings.

Edit:
    I just made a new clean install, but after the updates, it trashed my O.S.
    I think at this point you would be better to send an e-mail to CA support.
    If I have time, I will try another install later.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  10. mfenech

We got it fixed. I had him set the ad-blocking global setting to Off, since he has Adblock Plus on Firefox, and the flash worked. It was set to High, and I'm not sure if setting it to Medium would have allowed flash, but we didn't mess with it any further. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.