CA/eTrust doubts

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The thing is, tests like AV-comparatives (in its special report) and AV-test do not show CA/eTrust to be very good at detection rates. Yet, given CA's marketshare and the size of the company, I find it hard to digest that they could really be that bad. I am wondering why exactly CA's detection rates are not so good as they could be?

The best explanation I could think of is that AV-test and AV-comparatives tested only the Anti-Virus engine of CA and not the Anti-Virus + Anti-Spyware engine. However, I still doubt the Anti-Spyware engine would make a difference of leaps and bounds in CA's overall detection rate. So what would be the reason for the relatively low detection rates of CA in comparison to the competition? o_O

2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

could be. we will know it when it gets tested. Some peoples from CA already told me that they would like to get tested by us more often (and also with the AV+AS product). Seems like much is changing at CA and that they are going to improve in future. We will see.

3. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

This is pure speculation based on my own observations, but I think that CA(and you could say Trend too) mostly concentrate on making sure their AV detect the virus on the In-the-wild list. The rest doesn't look as important.

The reason being that for corporate accounts, what count most is having a robust deployment console and being certified by ICSA or VB100.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ca need to start with sorting out their software, pointless having detection if the software is sooo rubbish, heavy and a pain in the butt.

5. wdh2313

wdh2313 Registered Member

I agree they aren't good at detecting old viruses they worry about the present ones to much....

6. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Sorry for my some off topic comment
    My Junior college had Etrust version 7 (currently using etrust version 8 ) and i found it extremely light and had no issue of any kind. The reason for its popularity with companies may lie in it's management interface and lightness with almost zero false positives. Version 8 is kind of heavy for home user with its accompanying server software. Etrust version 7 is one of my fav av for its lightness. Last but not least it is very versatile to be used on

Microsoft: Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 4.0SP6a, 2000, XP (32/64-bit), Server 2003 (32/64-bit), as well as Microsoft Exchange 2000 and 2003
    Linux (32 bit): Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and greater, SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8 and greater, SuSE 9.0 and greater
    UNIX: Sun Solaris 8 and greater; HP-UX 11.0 and 11.11
    Novell: NetWare 5.1 and greater
    Citrix Presentation Server 4 for Windows
    Lotus: Notes/Domino 4.6.2 and greater
    Network Appliance NAS Devices: Filer Appliance
    Cisco NAC and Microsoft NAP Support for Windows
    Apple: Macintosh OS X 10.3 and greater for Power PC; Macintosh OS X 10.4 and greater for Intel
    Gateway: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP, 2003, Red Hat Linux
    Gateway Plug-In: Microsoft ISA Server; Apache; CVP
    PDAs: Palm, Microsoft Windows Mobile 2002/2003/2005, Microsoft Smartphone 2005, Pocket PC 2003

I think CA is concentrating too much on compatablity than detection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.