C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT delete??

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by DrewH, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrewH

DrewH Registered Member

Can I just turn off system restore and delete this folder?? The system scan turned up a big fat folder full of files of all types.
    Thanks

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello ! Welcome to Wilders !

Make sure your definition is up-to-date by pressing Control Center -> Update -> Update now.

Make sure your settings are the same as this tutorial.

Open Control Center -> NOD32 -> Run NOD32 and perforum full Scan&Clean over your hard drives . NOD32 will take care of these threats :)

If you have problems deleting them in Normal mode , boot in Safe Mode and then perform full scan there (from Start->Programs->ESET->NOD32)

You can also use Ewido Micro for second opinion

:thumb:

3. Teazle

Teazle Registered Member

Yes you can, it's a part of Norton's suite. if you no longer have it you can remove the folder.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ DrewH

I re-read your post again , are you actually using NOD32 ? Sorry for my previous post ... if the types of this "big fat folder full of files of all types" are not malware

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

You can limit the size of system restore folder, cut down on the number of restore points: Control pannel/System/System properties/Settings/Disk space to use. Put the big fat file on a diet.

6. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Teazle is correct.....it's Norton! Remove it if you no longer have Norton products on your machine. Also, delete the directory from any other drives (including external USB drives) in your computer. I had Norton SW and dumped it in favor of NOD32 (couldn't be happier, btw) but even after completely uninstalling Norton, using the Norton Removal Tool, and cleaning the registry, that NProtect directory was left behind on ALL of my drives. I simply deleted them with no ill effects.

The following explains "NProtect":

The NProtect directory is used to store temporary copies of files that the user has deleted or modified. This feature supplements the Windows Recycle Bin, creating a temporary backup of certain types of files that the Windows Recycle Bin does not back up. The Norton Protected Recycle Bin allows the user to recover these protected files if they are accidentally deleted.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/Content/2006.01.10.html

7. DrewH

DrewH Registered Member

Thanks Everybody for the quick reply. Yes I am running NOD32. I did the research when the Norton subscription ran out.I ran the scan and clean and thats when this recycler nonsense appeared. I was just a little hesitant because
    there were a number of registry and dll files. I feel much better now.
    Drew

8. mrgigabyte

mrgigabyte Registered Member

i been looking for this forever so i could get norton totally off my machine since i have now32 so do i need to do a full scan and thats it or how and where do you find this nprotect ! thanks mrgigabyte:cool:

9. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Can't really tell whether that was a question or a comment. If the former, you'll find NProtect in your Recycler directory (C:\RECYCLER\, just like the subject title).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.