buying some nod32 licenses questions.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by chrcol, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I have refrained from ordering some licenses after coming across what seems a very immoral pricing policy that punishes non US customers and some questions regarding 2.7.

A us licence is 39.99usd, comparison uk price is £39.99 (approx 80usd) and is £34 exc vat (approx 68usd).

I read another thread where eset supposedbly justify this as saying its to satisfy local taxes.
    So....

(a) even excluding vat there is one hell of a markup for the exact same product, it reminds me of the movie companies who enforce regional selling so can sell for more in different regions.

(b) the tax actually should be paid where the holding company is, so if I buy direct from eset then uk vat shouldnt be applied. Since the eset website charges uk customers vat I am dubious if eset are even passing this vat on since they not a uk based business. (resellers based in uk I understand the vat issue but not direct from eset).

I previously have used 2.7 on 3 systems (2 eval and 1 paid licence which was brought for me).

The idea was to buy an initial 2 licences for the eval machines and when it expires a 3rd one. In addition another 20 or so licences for family computers. But I wont be doing so at the inflated prices.

Assuming the above is resolved my next issue is can I buy a v3 licence and it will work on both 2.7 and 3.0? I have found a reseller selling 2.7 licenses which apperently can be used on 3.0 free of charge but it is us based and it seems it would be against eset policy for me to buy of this reseller.

Thanks for any responses in advance.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , it will . You buy a license for a product (NOD32) and it allows you to use any version of that product as long as the license is active and the product version is supported

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I work out of ESET's U.S. office, however, today I am in Europe where, not to my surprise, a venti soy latte (extra hot, no foam) costs twice as much as its San Diego counterpart, despite the fact that it is the same size and tastes the same.

The point is, pricing in a global market is not going to be the same world-wide, whether it is for automobiles, operating systems or a cup of coffee.

ESET's UK office should probably be able to answer your questions about VAT. Contact information is located here on their web site.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

that's because europeans understand that people wanting poncey drinks will pay more... ;)

5. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

it is indeed against policy to supply the UK - but there are exceptions - for instance, visiting students/professors.

6. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

For an update I used freeola, only about 10% more than the .us prices. Certianly much cheaper than eset's prices. Guessing by the reply from the mod its been justified that other stuff is more expensive so they do it anyway. However if I buy a non tangible product online it is more often that not the same price worldwide.

7. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

That's not correct any longer, VAT is charged at the point of sale. However I agree about the price difference, in addition 39.99GBP looks a little expensive, are you looking at the same product?

Discussing the issue with a reseller is likely to get you a better deal.

Regards
    Nick cough Eset reseller

8. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Pricing for a region is set by the distributor for that particular part of the world. As they have to pay salaries, VAT, social security and all the other costs associated with running a business in their country, it should not be surprising that the software costs more in regions where operating a business is more expensive than compared to the U.S.

If you have a specific question or a complaint about regional pricing, I would suggest contacting the distributor for the region in question and asking them for an explanation. I am sure they can provide more detailed information than I can about any disparities in pricing--perceived or otherwise--with U.S. license fees.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. tazman01

tazman01 Registered Member

I work with some global regions and I can tell you everything in the UK cost much more than the US - from a burger to salaries to payroll taxes, etc. Some countries it is cheaper but in the UK it is certainly more.

Bottom line - if you like the product buy it...let the economies work themselves out and enjoy the product you chose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.