Buying software or computers on ebay?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Is this a safe and smart thing to do? I see some "new" software and computers sell for 1/2 price or less on ebay. I suppose it helps if the seller has lots of previous transactions and a high percentage of good ratings. Does anyone have any great buys they have made or horror stories they wish to share?

Thanks.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Personally, I don't like ebay. I don't believe in buying stuff online from other people. I will also never buy anything other thank books or music online, because I'm primitive and likes to "feel" the merchandise before I pays for it.
    Mrk

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have used eBay in the past. But only for PC parts no longer available through OEM or other sources at reasonable prices. Have always paid heavy attention to the Sellers ratings\feedback. Also have gone on gut instinct too. So far so good.

4. security_concerned

security_concerned Registered Member

I bought my last desktop via Ebay. I had researched hardware and knew what I wanted. I could not have bought the parts and built it myself as cheaply.
    The fellow had a lot of transactions and a good reputation. Definately not a fly by nighter.
    He even threw in a couple of upgrades. I've not had a minutes trouble after 2 years.

Would I buy another on Ebay? You bet.

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have bought software on eBay with no troubles.
    I would be hesitant to buy a computer.
    Use a seller's feedback as a guide and check for refund policy before bidding or buying.

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I have bought hardware and software on ebay. The majority of them are for my older PCs and to get a "not state of the art" system and parts. You can find good deals on systems and parts that are no longer made and which sold for thoursands of dollars just a few years ago. I bought two desktops and two laptops from ebay (older Pentium systems). As for seller integrity, it does help if the seller has a high positive feedback rating. But there are many who sell to get rid of their unused machines. For the most part, you should be wary if someone sells "hot items" and has little or no feedback and is a newly registered user. There has been reports of buyers being tricked and not getting the items that they paid for. Ebay does offer some buyer protection on certain listed auction items (it is noted on the auction listing if the service is available). I have bought things from the site since 1999 and have experienced only one time I did not receive the item (it was a coin set which cost less than $10). I even considered buying a vehicle from ebay (from out of state auto dealers). If the item(s) that you are buying is/are very expensive, there are precautions that you should take before completing the transaction. Ebay has a reputation to uphold so I am sure that they will work with you should you have problems from fraudulent sellers and provide an appropriate resolution.

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I bought a Dell laptop off ebay that im using now, came from a laptop dealer, with loadsa positive feedback, was a reasonable price and came with 30 days no quibble warrenty - so IMHO the risks were low. Also the guy was'nt an ebay - only seller and had a real registered business, rather than someone selling stuff in their spare time from their bedroom.

8. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I bought my Dell E1705 on ebay. The seller had lotsa positive comments. (First thing I look for) and the price was untouchable anywhere else. Came with extended warantee only had to be x-fered to me.
    Whenever I'm shopping for something, I try ebay. As long as you pay attention I feel there's nothing to worry about.

...screamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.