Buying a router....any good suggestions?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Generix, Dec 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Generix

Generix Registered Member

I'm in the market to replace this useless router Earthlink has given me. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good router and DSL modem....or perhaps a combo (that's what I have now). I don't currently have two computers, but I would like to have that as an option as I will probably be getting another one soon. I will need the router to be able to allow me to do anything...like set up game servers, and send DCCs (something highly missed). Since I don't have two computers, I don't know why I would want wireless. If I do have two at one time, they would probably both be im my room or the room next to mine, so I wouldn't mind running wire. I don't want to spen over $100 on both the router and modem, which I don't think should be too much of a restriction considering how much prices have dropped. Thanks for any input.

italic part edited to keep 'er clean - Detox

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

There are several good routers available. I did research for about a week before I settled on the linksys wireless system, it has worked well for me. But Like I did with a little research you should find one that fits your needs.The security is a lot better now with the new generation of routers coming on the market this year. Wireless or not I checked out about twelve routers that all seemed to have good features at very resonable prices.

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have been using a D-Link DI704 for over a year now . It has been no problems at all. Before I got the router my firewall would would tell me how many attempts had been made everyday. Since, not one.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

WilliamP I concure with you on the hardware firewall in the router blocking intrusions my firewall doesn't have much to do anymore except outgoing blocks.

6. zappa

zappa Registered Member

Earthlink is my ISP, with DSL. I am using their Fujitsu Speedport modem along with a Linksys BEFSR41. I have had no issues with either unit.

Firmware can be an issue with a Linksys router,understatement, make sure firmware is not the issue.

I got the first Linksys WAP54A wireless access point to go along with router and solely for my wifes laptop. I use it as a doorstop now. My dog then tee-teed on it which has helped it.

If you want to read every negative issue with every Linksys router go to the Linksys forum at dslreports and get the skinny. Remember people who's router works won't need to post there so it's folks who are in need of help and advice on how to fix...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/linksys/all

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Zappa, I used a Linksys for three years & still have it as a back up, still works fine but as others have said be careful with the firmware updates.

Recently I purchase a 3COM office connect wireless gateway, it is working very well.
    I had occasion to use 3COM support so I emailed them, I had a return call, by telephone, within two hours with a guy that new what he was talking about and my minor problem was solved immediately, he also followed up with an explanatory email :) Unbelievably I had a follow up call two days later asking if everything was still OK.

So support is another very important aspect to investigate.

HTH Pilli

8. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

I've got very good experience with Thomson SpeedTough 510 ADSL modem/router. It has a hardware firewall as well
    Dolf

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Why not...: An other option is to install an old pc as a linux based router.

My setup: dsl modem - e-smith gateway - lan-switch. e-smith is a red hat based linux distribution. It's a hardened system that not only acts as a firewall, but also as a web and mailserver and it can be upgraded with lots of other functions. It will cost you nothing if you have an old spare pc.
    But there are plenty of other alternatives. And no It does not require any linux experience.

10. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

I used to use a link-sys but did not like it too much. It was a little buggy and tempermental on my system. Sorry, but I forget which model it was.

I now use a d-link di-604 and love it. It sells for 40-50 $USD.....

Regards,
    Kent

11. Generix

Generix Registered Member

Thanks for the replies :). They have been helpful. Thanks again. And Happy Holidays of course =D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.