Burning image to DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by charliej5, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charliej5

charliej5 Registered Member

I am new to this forum and to Acronis (1 day).

I have made an image of my "C" drive, partition 1 and saved it on an external Maxtor One Touch drive. It verified using the check feature in TI8. No problems that I am aware of.

I tried to burn a new image directly to a DVD -R. After going through the process, TI8 reported that it had successfully created the image (4 DVD's). However, when I tried to have TI8 check it, it showed the DVD to be blank. Windows explorer also reports it blank.

I verified that I am using the latest build of TI8.

I have read many posts here this morning on this subject, and thought it wise to ask this question of this knowledgeable group.

Many thanks for any assistance/suggestions you may offer.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

TI can't burn directly to DVD disks unless they are formatted with a product such as Roxio Drag-to-Disc or Nero InCD. Use DVD-RW or DVD+RW disks. Roxio's packet writer will also formate DVD+R disks.

I'm surprised that you didn't get an error message, but then nothing surprises me about the TI error messages. :)

You can also save your image on the hard drive and then burn it to DVD-R disks or any others type of DVD disk. Just specify that TI split the image into 1492MB pieces (three will fill a DVD) when you are creating the image. This is more convenient than writing directly to DVD disks.

(The 1492 is an easy size to remember since that's when Columbus discovered True Image.)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello charliej5,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest (889) build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/my/products/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

Please note that Acronis True Image doesn't support DVD-R though there are a lot of people that store images there. Please use DVD+R, DVD+RW, or DVD-RW instead. Also please have a look at Acronis article concerning writing to DVDs since it may be helpful in your situation.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. charliej5

John and Ilya:

Many thanks for the advice. I used DVD RW media and all went well and verification showed no errors.

John, I am going to use your technique to burn DVD -R from my hard disk image.

I sincerely thank both of you for the assistance.

Charlie

5. Ok question please. Why would I set the image split size to 2,000mbytes? That is equal to 2gigs right? DVD's can hold up to 4.7Gigs. If I set that to 2,000mbytes or just 2 Gigs then to me it seems I'm not even using the full capability of the DVD space. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean because it does not seem logical to me. Please Explain.
    If I save my file to my hard drive it tells me something about am I sure I want to do this because of partitions and something else. Can't really remember. When you said save to hardrive do you mean save it to the internal hard drive or another one like external? Then burn from there?

Thank you for your time

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Your're right! That's why I suggested 1492MB. It's an easy to remember size, and 3 x 1492 uses 99.8% of the space on a DVD disk.
    You can save to an internal or external hard drive. It just makes burning easier because you can burn the disks when it's convenient and don't have to sit there and stick the next disk in when TI asks for it.

7. First of all thanks for your reply John.

Ok I have to say that i'm not happy at all with this software. Had I known all this would have been this complex I would have saved the money and used another program. I have Roxio and I formated a DVD using the cd format utility. I then attempted to burn my back up of my hard drive to find that it did not work. I have now saved the image to my hard drive so that I may use Nero to burn the image on to a DVD. Now question is do i make a both disks using the "make bootable DVD" Icon in Nero or the "make data DVD" icon?
    You know to me it seems I could have done this without true image. The more I think about this the more it pisses me off. Burn an image with TI8 to my hard drive AND THEN USE another program to burn it because TI is to tempermental. Seems its only half of what it should be.

thank you
    Navalaircrewman

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi navalaircrewman,

I note from your other Thread titled <DVD burning with Nero> that you are now using Nero to burn image compilations to DVD.

Do not enter 2 GB as TI's split image size when creating the initial image to your hard drive. Windows calculates 2 GB as 2,147,483,648 bytes. Nero will throw up an error message when you drag the resultant .tib file from your HD into the DVD-ROM(ISO) new compilation window, complaining that the file exceed the ISO 9660 maximum file size limitation. Use 2000 MB (2,097,152,000 bytes) instead if you really must. Better still, however, use 1490 MB (or 1492 MB as suggest by John!!) and burn up to 3 tib files per DVD to maximize the space on a DV-ROM(ISO) compilation.

I believe I've answered your other question regarding which type of Nero compilation to burn via that same Thread.

Regards

9. charliej5

John/Ilya:

Here is current status:
    image to external drive = successful
    image to DVD +RW = successful
    image to DVD +R = UNSUCCESSFUL

I do have Roxio Easy Media Creator DVD (basic) installed. Drag to disc from this software is installed.

I cannot seem to achieve UDF formatting on the DVD +R.

Have you any further suggestions that I may try?

Also, John...you said "You can also save your image on the hard drive and then burn it to DVD-R disks or any others type of DVD disk. Just specify that TI split the image into 1492MB pieces (three will fill a DVD) when you are creating the image."

I am unable to uncertain how to instruct TI8 to split the image into 1492MB. Would you be so kind as to instruct me on this procedure.

Once again, many thanks for any assistance you may offer.

Charlie

10. Menorcaman

Hi Charlie,

Select "Fixed size" and type in 1490 MB (or 1492 MB). See screenshot below.

Regards

Attached Files:

11. charliej5

Thank you very much for your response.

I cannot find the image splitting screen. I thought perhaps it was because I had not upgraded to build 889, so I did that. Still I do not find the screen that you provided the snapshot of.

Will you be so kind as to walk me through to get to that screen?

Thank you again.

Charlie

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  12. Menorcaman

Hi again Charlie,

Run TI and select "Create Image" to start the Create Image Wizard. Click "Next" at the Welcome Screen to continue and then select your whole disk by checking the tickbox next to the Disk # that you wish to image. Click "Next".

Select a location on the hard drive on which you wish to create the image and enter a suitable file name e.g. "BackupC" (without the quotes!!). Click "Next".

If there isn't already an image file of that name at that location you will then be presented with the default option to create a full image. If there is a file of that name already there then you can select whether to append changes as an incremental image or create another full image. Click "Next".

You should now see the Image Archive Splitting screen shown in my previous reply.

Regards

13. charliej5

To all who have assisted me, a GREAT BIG Alabama thank you!

I am now clear on how to efficiently image my system, and transfer to DVD's. I cannot overemphasize that I am very appreciative of all who lent the expertise to me.

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.