Burning DVDs or CDs with TI 10 Home

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by seekermeister, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seekermeister

seekermeister Registered Member

I didn't want to ask this question, because I feel like I should have been able to figure it out myself, but I have not been able to find a way to burn to DVD/CDs. The help instructions seem to imply that this can be done, and some threads that I searched here on the forum seem to agree, but all that I can find when using the wizard for creating a backup location are harddrives. My optical drives are not listed. I know that I'm missing something...what is it?

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

The CD/DVD drives are not available when using the "Backup Locations" option. To find out more about "backup locations", check the Useful Forum Threads below.

Have you created the Bootable Rescue Media--otherwise known as the True Image Rescue CD. The creation of this CD is an absolute must. Some of the system partition restore functions work better when performed from the Rescue CD. Check the Tools menu for this option. When creating the Rescue CD, your CD/DVD drives should be visible. If visible there, you should then be able to see these drives thru the normal backup screen. Drives available for receiving/storing the backup are located within the "Backup Archive Selection" screen. Click the + sign within "My Computer" to display all drive letters.

Most of the regular forum poster discourage the use of burning a backup direct to DVD. The results are often problematic and definitely require an extreme amount of media shuffling as the data is not stored in sequential fashion.

When storing a backup archive, it is much better to use some type of hard drive--either internal/external/network. If storing onto a cd/dvd is to be done, a better method is to use the "2 step" method. This method involves creating the backup onto another hard drive (even the system drive) using the True Image "archive splitting" option during the creation of the backup. This results in a backup consisting of several smaller sized files which can then be later copied to CD/DVD using 3rd party software such as Roxio or Nero. These backup files are simply data files and can be copied as data to the removable media.

Note: should you ever need to restore the images stored on DVD, then you would need to copy the files back onto another hard drive (not the system drive) before restoration is attempted.

Should your CD/DVD drives not be listed as described above, then another alternative would be to create a flash drive Rescue device; or to contact Acronis support for assistance in getting a newer driver so your devices could be recognized. The current build for V10 is 4942. What build is in use and what type drives (sata or usb, etc) are not being recognized.

3. seekermeister

That is what I like, more information than I asked for, and in a fashion that I can understand...thanks.

As far as the Bootable Rescue Media, I understand that I don't need to make one, because I have the factory CD. Would one work better than another?

As far as which locations to use, I intend to use both an internal harddrive and DVDs...two seems safer than one. I appreciate tipping me on the use of the file splitter, because I wouldn't have thought of that myself. I'm using build 4942, but it still doesn't show any optical drives, and I have both SATA and PATA, so I'm still a bit in the dark about that.

4. GroverH

If your retail CD is 4942, then no new REscue CD is needed. Do record build number and serial number on your retail CD. Be sure and register your software with Acronis so you can get newer updates when they are released.

As for drive recognition, I suggest you ask for assistance from Acronis by filling out an online trouble report.

Also try, rebooting from the retail CD and see if the CD drives are displayed. Try both full and safe mode to see if one is different than the other.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello seekermeister,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please see this short thread for a possible explanation and solution.

If that doesn't help, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the drives in question.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. seekermeister

Hmm...I don't have DaemonTools installed, but I do have FantomDVD, so that may be the problem. I had never looked until now, but I can't find any means to uninstall it. Nothing is listed in Add/Remove Programs regarding it. The only thing that I have found about uninstalling it, is a file that says to download and run a file titled FantomDVD-20050106.zip, but neither Google nor the FantomDVD website seems to have anything on this. I searched the computer for SPDT and found nothing. How do you uninstall a program otherwise?

7. GroverH

One search indicated that there was an un-install option after the 'fantomDVD program is started. Also, if you right click the virtual drive, is an option listed?

8. seekermeister

GroverH,

Sorry for the delayed response, for some reason I never received a notification of your post. Your information worked as far as uninstalling FantomDVD, but it changed nothing about the availability of the optical drives in TI. I still following up some of the other suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.