Burning DVD, Booktype, Error checking program

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Wai_Wai, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Burning DVD, Booktype, Error checking program [v2]

1) I wonder if I should use a DVD- or DVD-RW in the following situations.
    Eg: I burn a film or music. Is it necessary I need to close a CD/DVD before it can be read by a DVD standalone player?

2) How about if I clone a CD/DVD, is it necessary I have to close the CD/DVD?

3) What does a booktype do? It seems it is used to change the the disc type. But what's the point of it?
    And if I change the disc type to either DVD-ROM / DVD-R, will this close the VD as well?

4) Is there any program which can check whether the burnt CD/DVD is REALLY error-free, or burnt properly?
    I once experienced the burning program said the CD was burnt successfully. In fact it couldn't be read by others.

5) Is there any program which can check whether files (in my computer) is error-free or readable or uncorrupted?

[v2] 6) Which types of DVD should I buy, plus or minus?
    Why?
    I will burn the DVD and be read by both DVD standalone and computer DVD drive.
    I will also format the DVD as UDF which can be accessed as if it were a floppy disk.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Hope this is some help but to answer numbers

1. and 2. Yes you must finalise/close a DVD to be watched on a standalone.
    3. Booktype is something that can be used on DVD+R disks. It allows you to set the disk as a DVD-Rom to ensure compatability with Standalones, as a lot of standalones can not read DVD+R disks and a few DVD-r either. So if you set the booktype to DVD-rom your DVD+R disks will play on these drives.
    4. There are two programs i use, one is Kprobe, its free.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/kprobe/index.php

Second is Nero CD/DVD speed, it comes with Nero Ultra, just go to start nero and its in the NERO toolkit. You can test the drive and if you go to Extra then disk quality test it tests how good your burn is and gives you a quality score out of 100.

Dont know about 5.

Attached Files:

3. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

How about if it is read by DVD drive (in computer)? Still "yes", right?

I ask this question because I wonder if I can workaround it, so leave it open and is still readable.
    Seems impossible from the sound of it.

If I booktype it as DVD-ROM, will this necessarily close the DVD, or can I still choose to let it open?

Do you know how to read the graph?
    What does the following mean (and what are they for):
    - C1/PIE
    - C2/PIF
    - Jitter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.