Burn a backup to a disc

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by durhamite, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durhamite

durhamite Registered Member

I have searched Acronis True Image 9.0 HELP and I cannot see how I can burn a backup of a selected file, or files, to a disc. I have InCD v.3.5.20.0 [it came with Nero Burning Rom] and I know that I have to use RWR discs, but nowhere can I find an explanation how to burn to a disc. Will someone please explain how it is done. I am going round in circles.
    Regards, durhamite

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If you mean that you want to make a backup of your hard drive and have True Image put that backup directly to CD then this process is very hit and miss. Some people are successful, most are not.

If you mean that you want to burn individual files or folders to a CD, then you do not need True Image at all, nor do you need InCD. Just install your Nero software and use that. The Nero feature you want is called "Make a Data Disk".

3. durhamite

>>Thank you Chutsman for replying. However, I am still no wiser. This is what I am told about backing up, at the start of Acronis True Image HELP.

"with Disc Backup you can create a backup archive of an exact hard disc including all operating systems, applications and configuration files, software updates, personal settings and all your data. Using File Backup you will be able to select specific files and folders for a backup"

Backup in HELP tells me -
    "Acronis True Image solves all backup problems ensuring the safety of all information on your PC. Using it you can backup selected fles and folders, as well as certain disks & partitions"

Selecting Archive Location in HELP tells me -
    "NOTE; You will need DVD UDF recording software installed for burning images on DVD disks. Examples of this software are Roxio Direct CD or Ahead InCD"

I leave HELP and go to 'PICK A TASK' where 'SELECT BACKUP TYPE' asks me to choose between backing up the entire disk contents or individual partitions, or Files and Folders. I choose Files and Folders and then find that burning my selected files and folders to a disk cannot be done.

Acronis True Image is cracked up to be the best backup programme - better than Nero Burning Rom, but like many programmes, its HELP leaves much to be desired, for it appears that it tells me that I can do something that cannot be done.

Thankfully, I did not purchase this programme, it was a gift. If I had purchased it I would be extremely annoyed. I thought that with its incremental backup ability, it would be better than Nero. In some respects, perhaps it is, but its apparent inability to burn files to a disc is a disappointment.

durhamite

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

All of the following is just my opinion:

There are lots of programs out there including Windows backup that backups files and folders in various ways. True Image's option to do it is just a convenience for people who want to do it and have TI.

The real use of True Image is that it will make an image of your entire physical disk or any partition on it. This is the best way to backup things like operating systems. You can back data up this way too.

Burning DVDs tends to be a little more error-prone compared to hard-drive storage. Packet-writing is not the most reliable way to burn a DVD and some will even say that there can be incompatibilities between discs written with one program and another. I don't know since I avoid it.

The safest way to make a DVD of something as important as your data where the absolute integrity of every byte makes the difference between useable and garbage is to write the backup to hard-drive and verify it. Then using your non-packet writing software (Nero or whatever) burn the image file(s) to DVD with the burning software and have "verify after burning" selected. For even more security cut the burning speed to half of the maximum of the media or half the speed of your drive whichever is less.

Like I said, my opinion only, others may disagree but so far the above has never failed me.

5. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that burning files to a disk cannot be done. You select the files, NEXT through until you get to the Backup File Location screen, give the .tib file a name, select your CD-RW drive and away you go. Perhaps you meant something else? You might also try downloading the User Guide from here as it is a bit more detailed than the HELP screens.:cool:

6. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Durhamite ... With the way Acronis TI has been giving people so many problems depending on the hardware environment, I would not use it to backup files or folders seeing that there are so many more reliable alternatives available.

Give us an idea of the total size of what you want to backup.

Since you have Nero, use it to burn the files and folders to your CD. Again, the feature in Nero is called Make A Data Disc.

If you have an extra drive use that to Copy what you want to backup or if the items you want to backup will fit on a flash drive, that's another media to use.

I will emphasize what "seekforever" said ... the main purpose of TI is to make a backup of your ENTIRE drive.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello durhamite,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem?

- What exact version and build number of Acronis True Image you use?

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

- What operating system is installed on your computer?

- Clarify whether you want to save your file-based backup to CD or DVD;

- What is the exact size of the data that you are backing up?

- What exactly do you mean by "burning my selected files and folders to a disk cannot be done"?

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. durhamite

My problem has been resolved. Today, a friend of colleague who uses Acronis True Image and swears by it, had a look. He quickly discovered that it was not creating an 'archive file'. He fiddled about, removed Acronis True Image, disabled my security programmes, reinstalled ATI, enabled security, ran ATI till it created an 'archive file' of my data folder and then burned it to a CD-RW disc. Then he supervised while I did it. He thinks TDS Process Guard was the cause of the problem.

It's a nice programme.

Many thanks to everyone who responded.

durhamite

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.