Bullguard Internet Security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kielty, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I am evaluating this peice of software and it looks very impressive..

Has anyone any experiences/views they would like to share?

I am looking for a light, secure internet suite with a top notch AV scanner. As i understand it Bullguard 6.1 uses the bitdefender engine and sygate for the firewall.

Does anyone know which version of the bitdefender engine is used as these applications tend to use older engines licensed from the AV manufacturers?

I have trialled KIS6 but it causes issues with certain games/applications (prey, f.e.a.r etc.).

Any other suggestions welcome!!

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

BullGuard is very good indeed.
    I'm beta testing 7.0 and the sygate firewall is replaced by Out[post. This is far better.

3. wujxin

wujxin Registered Member

Where could I download the 7.0?

4. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

The Beta is in released candidate stage right now. But it is a closed beta. I expevt them to open it for for the final release candidate in about a week

5. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

interesting that Outpost is the new firewall. Do you know the version of the AV scanner?

6. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

I wouldn't use Bullguard at all!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1913685,00.asp

It uses a clearly outdated firewall and with the loopback hole if you run a local proxy. They must be joking asking $60 bucks for this product. :ninja: :thumbd:

For that price I'd run free AV (Avast/AntiVir) and a free firewall (Comodo). Cost $0.00 bucks.

If you still want to spend money then go for:

BitDefender $40 (for two years and for two users) which really is $20 a year. Renewal is $30. Otherwise replace this AV with either NOD32 ($38 ), F-Secure ($40) or Kaspersky($40), and a yearly renewal of $20, $30 & $28 respectively.

Outpost Pro $40 or Comodo $0

You decide.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

That PC Magazine Review is of an older version of BullGuard (version 6.0). BullGuard is aware of the issues with its Sygate engine powered firewall, which is why version 7 will replace the Sygate firewall with Outpost Pro.

I do however, believe that their pricing and renewals are too costly.

8. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Bullguard 7's real time scanner default settings does not include 'heuristics'. If enabled does anyone have any experience on the hit the system performance will take?

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Nothing significant, comparing with the hit taken in BitDefender (BullGuard uses the BD engine so it should be the same)

10. yaggy

yaggy Registered Member

Bullguard is far (very far) from being "Light" in fact its just about as bad as Norton as far as memory usage goes.

11. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

The one thing about BullGuard that made it impossible for me to use (although I wanted to keep using it), was it caused problems when I browsed diffferent web sites like my credit card site. Did not know how to correct this but I guess I could have asked support. However, I did not like that default behavior, to say the least.

Gary

12. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

BullGuard 7 is not light, but not as bad as Norton. I'm just going by my experience. I had a rough time with NIS/NAV 2007. The problem with BullGuard for me was that I didn't use the spam filter or the back up feature. Therefore, I couldn't justify the $60 price tag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.