Building Your Own Privacy Package

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Reality, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Thanks act. I will go and defrag, but if there's a portable that's better than Windows own defragger I'd be interested to hear, otherwise Ill just use Windows own one.

Update: Activated (oem) Small Bus SW no trouble at all. Really pleased about this. I have seriously missed Excel.

Marzametal if you're looking on, I owe you an apology. You are right. MS Works spreadsheet is a SHOCKER. One thing that really annoyed me was that useless scrollbar would glitch and not scroll. You'd be guessing where you thought it should be. o_O

2. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

You are all class, Sir...

I had to search for my MS Works post; all the way back in May! Cheers for giving me a chuckle. It's given me enough energy to scroll through 146 pages in the AppGuard thread (currently on 51)!

3. Reality

Be VERY VERY thankful that scrolling isn't in MS Works Spreadsheet :)

4. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

On XP I use defraggler: https://www.piriform.com/defraggler
    It's fabulous. Don't know if portable exists, but in ProgramFiles it's only 7meg, so no big deal.
    Windows one is ok, but defraggler gives you fantastic views, sortable list of fragmented files, sector view etc, a learning experience in itself.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. Reality

Thanks act. I like CCleaner and have used it for years, but I'd forgotten about their other utilities. They have a portable in CCleaner which I've been using.

Thanks JRViego for the link. Defraggler it is.

7. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Windows systems maintain a set of keys in the registry database (UserAssist keys) to keep
    track of programs that executed. The number of executions and last execution date and time
    are available in these keys.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\

The binaries all start with HRZR_... So the entries are all ROT13 encoded.
    (considered weak encryption)

To disable ROT13 encoding & see info in plain text merge the following into Windows registry:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\Settings]
    "NoEncrypt"=dword:1

Reboot machine and wait for new values to appear.
    NOTE: Deleting both key contents (HRZR... entries) before setting this new reg entry might be helpful.

If you want to disable logging, merge this into Windows registry:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\Settings]
    "NoLog"=dword:1

NOTE: As always make sure to backup up the registry before making any changes to registry.

e.g. of decode reg key: HKCU\...\UserAssist\{75048700-EF1F-11D0-9888-006097DEACF9}\Count]
    HRZR_EHACNGU: P :\\Cebtenz Svyrf\\PPyrnare\\PPyrnare.rkr = UEME_RUNPATH:C:\\Program Files\\CCleaner\\CCleaner.exe

http://www.aldeid.com/wiki/Windows-userassist-keys (Windows XP and Windows 7)

8. Uitlander

Uitlander Registered Member

I have finally completed preliminary survey of Service Pack 2, with its contents divided into four categories: bloatware, malware, useful, & unknowns. Despite assertions seen on other sites, I failed to the fabled plethora of corporate malware hidden in SP2. I suppose some nasties could be concealed away in the 152 fixes in the 'unknown' category, but this will take months to research.

While my hunt for malware has been disappointing, the amount of bloatware is staggering. Bloatware I define as anything I don't need; examples would be patches for Telnet, IRC, Outlook, WMP and similar components not destined for my PC. I am preparing for a minimalist install of XP Pro (under 900MB). I identified over 150 fixes in the 'bloatware' category that I will have to deal with via nLite or XPLite. A list is available.

I was rather surprised to find there was apparently no research done on the contents of SP2 & SP3 (at least none Google was willing to disclose). About all I could find came from Microsoft itself:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/811113

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/946480

Considering Microsoft's well established reputation for chicanery towards endusers, I would of thought someone might of played 'consumer watchdog', and done the ever necessary facts checking to assure the contents were all kosher. Anyway, I will move on to SP3, and comb through it as best I can. If anyone wants the results, ask in a couple weeks.

9. Compu KTed

10. Uitlander

Thanks...I think XPlite is the way to go. Perhaps once I install the full XP Pro SP3 hog, and use XPlitePro to remove all the blubber, I'll try doing up a nLite custom install disc. Just in case I ever have to reinstall.

11. Uitlander

Would you happen to know of the proper name of the gadget/gizmo/thingamabob that measures EMF levels? In case this question was not answered, I think you are looking for a "EMF meter" or "EMF detector". Google both and see if its what you want.

12. marzametal

Thanks for this... I don't know how I let this topic slip, damn life events. Time to dive back into it!

13. Compu KTed

Sounds like a good plan. XPLite I found easy to remove components, but as you may already
    know, you may get errors or something may not function properly depending on what you remove.
    Sometimes all it takes is a certain dll file that may be needed for proper function and may
    need to be moved.
    I tend to look at What XPLite removes before rebooting machine.
    I'm still looking at how much more I can remove without crippling the OS.

I also always have backup images to restore if necessary. nLite from my limited experience
    using it requires much more involvement and time, but you'll have a custom install disc
    when done as you said for reinstall. Check your sysoc.inf file to see if nLite is present
    after using it.

14. Uitlander

Wise advice. Are you familiar with the work of Bold_Fortune?

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/316422-slimming-down-windows-xp/

I've been over his guides twice now and I still cannot find any mention of just how he nukes stuff, other than he is not a fan of nLite nor XPlite. If you have time, could you take a look, and see if you figure out his technique?

15. Compu KTed

Yes am familiar with Bold_Fortunes work. He apparently uses XPLite free (trial version)
    to disable Windows File Protection to delete the files/folders. AFAIK though he doesn't
    remove Internet Explorer (integrated browser) which XPLite Pro can do and probably nLite
    as well. Seems other components are left intact as well. Not sure about registry entries, but
    if you have "CCleaner" app installed you could run a scan after removing a component to see
    what issues turn up with option to save the fixes. Also a before and after system snapshot
    might be helpful to see what was removed if you have such a program already installed.

Bold_Fortune stated " It would be practically impossible for anyone to duplicate what I do
    without running into problems. Which files and folders to remove from your own Windows XP
    Installations, you will have to make these choices for yourself ".

His idea is worth looking at though and comparing.

Note: Check your Event Viewer for errors you may encounter when removing components.
    You may also see application popups that may tell you a file is missing and needed
    for install and proper functioning.

You may want to also check Device Manager of Windows for any identifying problems.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001212.htm

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  16. Uitlander

Well I saw Bold_Fortune diss both XPlite & nLite a couple times, but never admit to using either. Guess its a do as I say and not as I do kinda thing. Thanks for clearing that up. He doesn't go far enough in removal to suit me, but its a dang good start. As for IE, I noted in post 749 you were at an impasse in removing the 'IE HTML Rendering Engine'. Did you ever find a solution? Don't see much point in nuking IE if this is left behind...unless maybe one nukes everything that uses it to get to the internet.

Is your 'System Restore' still disabled, or did you obliterate it and replace it with a better alternative? Its on my S&D to-do list, but I'm wondering if you found a good reason to not terminate it.

17. Uitlander

Browser options are many:
    Ace explorer 2.0
    Acoo Browser 1.98
    Advanced Browser Ultimate Version
    Armorsurf 1.4.2.0
    Arora
    Citrio
    Cometbird 3.6.2
    Comodo Dragon
    Comodo IceDragon
    Cool Novo 2.0.9.11
    Cyberdragon Privacy Browser
    Deepnet Explorer
    Dell Kace Secure Browser (if you can find it)
    Dolphin 3D Web Browser
    Dooble Web Browser 0.09
    Epic Privacy Browser
    Ghost Navigator 5.9.0412
    Green Browser 5.9.0412
    Heatseek 1.4.1.3
    K-meleon 1.5.3
    K7 Secure Web 11.0
    Maxthon cloud Browser
    OEMBrowser 3.05
    Operator 2.5
    Orca Browser 0.6
    Panda Safe Browser
    Piratebrowser 0.6
    QTWeb 3.3.033
    Qupzilla
    Slimbrowser
    SRware Iron 38
    Stealth Browser Pro 1.0
    Superbird 28.0
    Virtual Browser 1.0
    Webspirit Internet Browser 3.0
    White Hat Browser 37.0
    Xtravo Explorer 3.5.3
    Zurfo Stealth Browser 2.1.0

18. Compu KTed

I uninstalled all versions of IE and removed the IE HTML Rendering Engine as well.
    Rendering Engine removal as stated before will give you a non-functioning 'User Accounts'.
    There may be other issues as well which I still need to look at when time permits.

System Restore was removed from OS when I was experimenting with inf file component removal
    through Add/Remove Windows Components. Not a fan of SR and use backup imaging software if
    needed. XPLite can also restore components quickly if something isn't working properly.

If someone wants to test removing System Restore in XP.

Disable Windows File Protection (WFP)
    Go to C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf and open in txt editor (Notepad)
    Copy line below into sysoc.inf file under [components] and then save it.

systemrestore=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,sr.inf,,7

Go to C:\Windows\inf\sr.inf file and add following code between [version] and [DefaultInstall]
    in sr.inf file and then save it.

Code:
    [Optional Components]
    systemrestore

[systemrestore]
    OptionDesc = %SR_Service_Name%
    Tip = %SR_Service_Desc%
    IconIndex = *, ..\restore,srclient.dll, 3
    CopyFiles = SRFlt_files,SRSvc_files,SR_files
    AddReg = SRFlt_addreg,SRSvc_addreg,SR_addreg
    ProfileItems = SRProfile
    RegisterDlls = SR_register
    DelReg = SRSvc_delreg
    Uninstall = Uninstall
    Modes = 0,1,2,3
    SizeApproximation =12032
    Go to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components and
    uncheck the box next to System Restore Service in the Windows Components list.
    Click on Finish to close the Components Wizard.

To remove the System Restore Service from Windows Services:
    Open Cmd prompt > type: sc delete srservice // should read SUCCESS
    System Restore service is now removed from Windows Services list in XP.

Location of service in Windows registry:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\srservice]

NOTE: Always have image backups before making any changes to OS or try testing in Virtual Machine
    and make snapshot.

19. Uitlander

Greatly appreciate all the info, and I will apply it at the first opportunity. Any research assistance I can help you with, just ask. I hope you will continue to update on your progress to clear the blubber from XP Pro, if not here, then another thread. Thanks again!

20. Uitlander

21. Compu KTed

More info on the IE HTML Rendering Engine function may be helpful. Also if one removes DirectX then Flash
    Player plugin is non-functional. Need to yet go into files and folders and delete. Most components have been
    removed from the 150 list in XPLite.

IE HTML Rendering Engine files removed. (system32 )
    ddrawex.dll
    dxtmsft.dll
    dxtrans.dll
    mshtml.dll
    mshtml.tlb
    mshtmled.dll
    mshtmler.dll

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  22. Reality

Lately I've had to flesh out my newly learned skills again with some Hardware issues to the extent of stop using my computer. Just prior to that happening someone gave me an HP 7700 SFF w 2GB RAM Integrated graphics, Core2Duo and no HDD. It has XP Pro COA on the case. I threw in a 160 GB HDD reformatted into 2 partitions. Installed XP Pro plus installed drivers, and tested for a few days before activating. Did the phone thing and MS obliged. So... thats what Im on right now.

As Uitlander has mentioned to me, it's wise to consider other options and that XP could be (forcefully) retired so that we just can't use it. For now we are not alone in wanting to keep it to the bitter end. With that said, I'm interested in the latest hardware that will run XP and Linux, with the main focus on Security and Privacy. By Security and Privacy I mean secure and thus protecting my privacy from the likes of MS spying on you with telemetry settings and other sneakware tactics. We've all heard about hardware being compromised as well. I'm keen to hear what hardware is more secure and why.

23. marzametal

Wouldn't total nuke of IE render "Internet Options" in Control Panel null and void?

24. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I don't think Microsoft can forcibly retire Xp the way it did with old versions of Skype. The logistics just don't allow it. The IBM era Pentium M Thinkpad I'm writing this on will run it as long the hardware lasts and I can just put the hard disk in the spare I have if it fails. I've been running secure installations of Xp for over 10 years now and the crazy thing is that I'm still learning better ways to secure it all the time with the resources it has to offer. I recently thought of an ACL tweak that would improve resistance to exploits and privilege escalation and found the same ACL setting implemented in Windows 10's default ACLs.

One direction I'm moving is to run my old Xp installations in Virtualbox in Linux. It does take a decent processor and some memory but Xp is lean enough that a Core 2 Duo is sufficient and and things really fly with a slow, 1ghz, first generation i5. 3-4 Gbs of ram is enough and with 8 or more, I can run multiple VMs at once. Linux can deal with a lot of the security issues, especially the firewall, so Xp doesn't have to strain itself so much and restoring a snapshot just takes a couple of seconds.

I just did a first test install of Xp x64. I bought a copy last fall and I finally got it in a VM and I'm really impressed. It is the Xp I know and love on the outside but it supports more than 4gb of ram and GPT partitioned disks of more than 2tb which are the hardware limits of Xp that concern me the most. Speedwise, it really flies. I was impressed how how fast it was in a VM. I am going to try it in my W520 which has fairly good driver support for it. It could be great as a hypervisor for running VMs. Memory use of a base install was only 200mbs which leaves lots of memory for VMs. If I use at as a hypervisor, I won't install much more than drivers and basic security software. All the action will be in the VMs.

25. Compu KTed

inetcpl.cpl - Configure Internet Explorer and Internet properties. // Internet Options
    Control Panel Applet.

Total uninstall of Internet Explorer (IE) would leave a useless "Internet Options" in
    Control Panel. If applet is deleted there is copy of the file in dllcache folder.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.