Building new computer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by djg05, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I am contemplating building a new computer. My current one is built on an ASUS board which is now 4 or 5 years old and I have not kept in touch with developments.

Having had a look around the M2N-SLI Deluxe from ASUS is the current fancied one since it seems to have a good legacy facilities. I am puzzled though by the mini PCI slots and what they are used for. Any suggestions?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im gonna be building my first pc soon.
    for help on the build i reccomend posting the stuff you want to buy as hexus for opintions.

lodore

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

They are PCI Express slots. Read more about it HERE.

dja2k

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

5. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Those mini PCI-E are 1x, not widely used. I've only really seen a couple of TV cards that connect @ a 1x PCI-E. Performance is not really improved on those cards. As far as the build, what do you need to do with the comp? How much will your wife let you spend?

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    First question - what do you need the machine for?
    Regards,
    Mrk

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

Ha ha - the Wife question has yet to be debated :)

It will not be used for gaming, but I have some CamCorder films I want to process onto DVD. Just takes too long on this one.

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Here's my suggestion:

CPU AMD Athlon 64 4600+ (Socket AM2) X2 DualCore

MB AMD ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2, 570SLI, DDRII 800, 2xPCI-E

MEMORY 2x DDR II 800Mhz 1GB Kingston HyperX CL5

HDD 2x Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA II

Video ASUS 7600GT 256MB, HDTV, DVI, PCI-E

Optiarc AD-7170S DVD±RW x18, DL x8 - maybe even two

Or if only one, then another DVD-ROM ...

Standard, audio, network cards (maybe x 2), mouse, keyboard

My calculation, including assembly, without monitor, this should cost ~ USD1,100.

Also good UPS should be nice.

Go with a big, open case, two 12cm fans , one front one rear, good cooling unit for CPU and maybe even coolers for HDs, a quiet PSU with 700W or so.

This system has plenty of redundancy, two hard disk and will work well for the next 4-5 years if needed. And even play games if you want.

Although you are not fully using your MB - you should go with a stronger video card (possibly SLI array), but since you're not a gamer, this is not an issue.

Cheers,
    Mrk

9. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

That looks a good spec. Glad you agree on the m/b.

Looking at the ASUS site on the board I am not sure if there is a limitation on the processor that can be used. I was considering the "CPU AMD AM2 Athlon 64 5200+". Not sure how much you would notice over a 4600.

The other thing I can not workout is the size of PSU needed. It is all very well to bang in big one but there must be a way you can work it out, and of course we should all be aware of the energy we are using.

10. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I have a similar setup with 500W PSU, no problems at all.
    At peak power, my system takes about 340W, and that's both cores at 100%, the most demanding games and such ... 700W is more than enough. There was a site somewhere to calculate, try googling...
    Mrk

11. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

There is varying information on the web but difficult to get specific info. The main consensus seems to be that we put in bigger than we need. There is one site here that will calculate the max size needed but is a bit out of date.

Another useful tip found is that quality can be judged on the weight of the PSU since better quality components weigh more.

12. seekermeister

seekermeister Registered Member

More than the size of the PS, make sure that you get a good quality unit. I have found that the PS makes more difference than any other one item in a rig, not only in terms providing sufficient power, but lasting. Unfortunately, when a PS fails, it all too often takes something else with it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  13. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

You should get one of those Corsair PSU's which are rebagged Seasonic's. I have the 520 Watt and its more than sufficient even all that I am running. There is a 620 watt version too. I wouldn't go with an Optiarc (Sony & NEC) anymore , LG and Philips are more releable these days.

dja2k

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  14. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Wait till mid Nov to buy. By then, the DX10 games will be out, Penryn will be out, Phenom will be out. That oughta push the price down for the stuff you want, although the stuff you want might just be the new things.
    Alternatively, you can wait till I get that new stuff and buy mine from me :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.