Build 903 Restore Change?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pvsurfer, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I just restored an image of my C-drive from a 2nd hard drive back to my C-drive and discovered what I believe is a change in TI's restoration operation and a bug.

Upon specifying the restore, build 903 noted that some Windows system files were open and that I would have to reboot the system... I think I need a sanity-check here -- I don't recall having to do that with prior builds... am I losing it? o_O

After rebooting, the verification and restore were successful (in the end), but a bug in the time-remaining indicators almost made my heart stop! ...the Total Progress' time-remaining (during the verification phase) froze with 4-sec to go and neither it or the Current Operation's time-remaining were working properly from that point on! :eek:

But as mentioned, the restore was successful (ultimately). :D

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi pvsurfer,

Yes I fear you're loosing it :D. If you restore your main system drive from the Windows environment rather than the Rescue CD then you have always needed to reboot the system into TI's Linux environment.

I have very rarely seen the two green progress bars reach full-scale before TI states that the operation has finished, no matter which build was being used. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Regards

3. pvsurfer

Menorcaman~

Well I haven't had the need for a system restore in quite a while (thankfully, I might add) before having to perform this one, so forgive me for my senior-moment. ;)

However, I really do think that Acronis should get around to fixing the time-remaining bug during restore operations (to prevent user cardiac-arrest)! :eek:

~pv

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pvsurfer,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that the time estimation is quite approximate and the real time depends on many factors such as the content of the image, its size, the system performance, etc. The discrapency can appear and there is no need to worry about it.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. pvsurfer

Ilya~

I am not complaining about an approximation discrepancy in the time-remaining. The problem is that the Total Progress and Current Operation Progress froze during the Restore process (as I explain above in more detail)! :doubt:

~pv

6. Acronis Support

Hello pvsurfer,

Do you mean that in the last 4 seconds the progress bar didn't reach the end and the operation completed without the bar reaching the end?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. pvsurfer

That's correct. Furthermore, the Current Operation Progress bar didn't work at all during the Restore phase of the operation.

To restate the problem, I requested a verification as part of the Restore process, during which the Total Progress bar froze with but 4-sec left to go. Then the actual Restore phase began, during which the Current Operation Progress bar was inoperative! But as mentioned in my earlier posts, the actual restore was 100% successful.

~pv

8. Acronis Support

Hello pvsurfer,

I will forward the description to our Testing Lab and they will try to reproduce the problem. If they succeed in it it will be investigated by our Development Team.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi PV,

Using Build 903, I've just carried out the exact same steps as you. I can report that, on my system at least, the Current Operation progress bar behaved as it normally does. So it looks as if the problem is peculiar to your setup but I've simply no idea what might be causing it o_O

Regards

10. pvsurfer

Hi Menorcaman~

As it may be part of this problem, I should state that my System Drive is a WD360 (Promise SATA controller) and my Backup Drive is WD1600JB (IDE controller).

I don't know if the problem will repeat itself on my next image restore, but I'm not about to do an unnecessary restore just to find out. ;)

Cheers. ~pv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.