Build 3633 or wait?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by feddup, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feddup

feddup Registered Member

I've been a long time True image user and have licenses for TI8 and 9. The direct DVD burning is worth doing back flips over but, of course, there are bugs. I just built a secondary PC and would like to get a "perfect" (no such thing) image before I go online. Should I go and image using 3633 and try to get it to work or wait till more of the bugs are worked out. I'm not in a terrible hurry. I use auto patcher and I'd like to update windows and that's it, no graphics drivers antivirus or anything. Something to go back to. Another question! From Acronis's site I downloaded 9.3633 and noticed another link below that that mentioned "if you lost your original software something or other". I downloaded it as well and it was just TI9.0. Do I have to install the original before the update? It's been so long since I installed TI that I'm unclear on the installation procedure now. Any help would be appreciatted!

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

All you need is the latest update and your serial number for TI 9 and, if TI 9 was an upgrade, TI 8.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Build 3633 appears to work with the exception of the unreadable DVD problem and some complaining of long times when using the rescue CD.

If you have a version that you have confidence in, I would use it to make a safety image and then upgrade to 3633 and make another image to test the restore function. This way if it fails you have your safety image to get back to where you were.

You also might say to heck with 3633 and just do all of this when the version that fixes the known DVD problem is released.

4. feddup

feddup Registered Member

I tend to have a lot of software I add and with this "new build" from an old PC required some "salesmanship" to get M$ to reactivate for me. I'm hoping that my minimal early configuration will fit on on DVD and thus not be subject to the spanning issue. I've also set aside 150Gb of space for the secure zone which although some people hate it I happen to like. I have a 80 gig system drive and a 400 gig data drive as well as swappable sata hard drive bays with three WD 320Gb HDs I can swap in at will. I plan on using triple backup redundancy backups all the way. Any problems with 3633 and any of these plans. I'm trying to be nutty (in a good way) and careful at the same time. This is on an Intel 875P system with SATA I drives so issues with new technology should hardly be a problem. Again any input is appreciatted. I've been away for a while but Wilders and True Image are staples to anyone who cares about security.

5. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

The 'secure zone' is designed for systems with only one hard drive, as it does offer a limited form of protection of the image if the OS goes 'kerpluk', but not the hard drive itself. As you are well equipped with extra storage hard drives...why would you feel the need to use this feature?

...Allen o_O

6. feddup

feddup Registered Member

secure zone

I always failed to understand the use of the secure zone with one hard drive. Pretty vulnerable! I've always imaged and restored from outside of windows (F11) to the secure zone as well as the removable drive. In the past the SZ was "hidden" and I thought it was an added security feature. With 9.0 it shows up in XP's management console. I tried to burn directly to DVD last night and it was a miserable failure. I read all the posts with tips and work arounds and none seemed to work. I have a variety of DVD media +R, -R, +RW of various brands. I sure hope the tib files are, in fact, compatible with future TI releases as Acronis promised. Direct DVD burning is a much desired feature and I applaud Acronis for trying but it seems unfinished at this point. I'm still an avid Acronis devotee and that won't change with a few bugs. Keep trying Acronis!

7. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

Stay away from the "Secure Zone" and you'll be a much happier camper! :) , and that includes any actions you do with the program in my opinion. The 'Zone' just seems to create all kinds of unneccessary problems. Why do you think you need a hidden partition anyway?

o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.