Build 3567: Wrong Drive letters using Startup Recovery Manager

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Frank88, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank88

Frank88 Registered Member

Today I tried for the first time to create a full image in the Secure Zone using Build 3567 Startup Recovery Manager. I was very astonished to see in the Recovery Manager complete different dive letters. Only Partition C was the same as in the Windiws application. When I started to image C, a very long time (8 hours) was calculated. I canceled the image process and did the same in TI under Windows. Now all drive letters were correct and the image was ready after 20 minutes.

Is there something wrong with the Startup Recovery Manager? I tried to reinstall it, but there seems to be no way for deinstallation.

Regards
    Robert

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“Startup Recovery Manager” (F11) boots into Linux, which assigns drive letters differently than Windows (see User Guide).
    The calculated time is a best guess and can drop rapidly after the process has begun. I’ve seen it go from 22 minutes down to 8 in a matter a seconds.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Robert,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

As TheWeaz has already mentioned, Acronis Bootable Rescue Environment (Full version) is Linux based and can display drive letters different from those you see in Windows, because Linux has its own rules of drive naming. Such a situation usually may arise after using partitioning software. This is absolutely normal and there is no need to worry about the difference in drive letters assignment. In order to avoid confusion we recommend that you give your partitions meaningful labels such as 'System', 'Data', 'Backup', etc.

We recommend that you follow TheWeaz's advice, i.e. wait for the backup creation process to finish and see how much time it actually takes. If the backup creation process performed using Acronis Startup Recovery Manger or Bootable Rescue CD takes much more time than it takes when the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows then please do the following:

- Reboot the computer and start Acronis Startup Recovery Manager by hitting the F11 key;

- Press F11 key once more when the selection screen advising you to choose either "Full" or "Boot into Windows" option appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please modify it in the following way:

quiet acpi=off noapic

- Click on the OK button and choose the "Full" option;

- Try to create an image once more and see the result.

If booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter does not help then please do the following:

- Reboot the computer and start Acronis Startup Recovery Manager by hitting the F11 key once more;

- Press F11 when the selection screen advising you to choose either "Full" or "Boot into Windows" option appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button, choose "Full Version" and wait for # prompt to appear;

- Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the sysinfo.txt file from the diskette.

Please note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters, i.e. SYSINFO.TXT, or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- What is the exact size of the image archive that you have created?

- How much time did it take exactly to create this image?

- Where did you save this particular image?

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Please be aware that there is no separate option allowing you de-activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

If you want to remove Acronis Startup Recovery Manager along with Acronis Secure Zone then please use Manage Acronis Secure Zone wizard accessible via the main program window (see Chapter 8 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide for details).

If you want to de-activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager keeping Acronis Secure Zone intact then please fix your hard drive's MBR either by booting the computer from Windows Installation CD and issuing the "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console or using one of the methods described in Acronis Help Post.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.